Question To Carpet Pros - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-23-2014, 03:35 PM   #1
Cruising into the sunset

Rewards Points: 520
Question

Question To Carpet Pros

We just had a fast talking carpet salesman come to the house to give us a price for 4 bedrooms, two stairs and one hallway. He started at $11,000 for mid grade carpet but quickly said that won't be our price "because there's a sale." Then he gave us the sale price - $8,200.

I told him no way.

To justify his price he told me we had 165 sq/yds and that includes 15% waste (143 actual sq/yds). After he left I measured the areas myself and came up with 108 sq/yds, not including waste. So already I don't trust him.

My question: Is it typical to price out a job including the waste? Or was this guy just a fast talking slickster?
JulieMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2014, 04:21 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 144

He seems like a typical salesman but in his defense,there is going to be waste and who do you think should pay for the waste on your job.Somebody has to buy the material.There is waste on siding ,roofing ,flooring and carpet.
I can do the job and if you don't want to pay for the waste,that's cool.I'll just add the cost of the waste on to the labor.Or something.I'm not paying for the waste on a job for your home. 15% may be a little excessive but nobody can tell with seeing the layout.
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2014, 05:02 PM   #3
Cruising into the sunset

I understand there's waste and it has to be paid for. I have no problem with that. When I was doing electrical estimates, I added waste but didn't charge labor for it. I always figured 10% waste so the 15% seemed a bit high. Their price includes moving furniture too and they won't have any furniture to move with the waste. He also said they figure each stair as two yards. Maybe that's normal, I don't know. What I do know is he added 15% waste to each of those 64 yards.

There's 3 rooms at 12'x12', one at 16'x12', a hallway that's 4'x30' a small walk-in closet and two stairways that are 4' wide. Pretty much everything can come off a 12' roll with little waste.

FWIW, after he tried to convince us his $8,200 price was justified and I walked away, he told my SO he could do it for $5,200. But even at 15% waste, he still over estimated the area by 1/3. And I checked my numbers both physically and in AutoCad and both came up the same.

Last edited by JulieMor; 09-23-2014 at 05:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2014, 05:12 PM   #4
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 17,878

Using his sq footage...that works out to about $50/sq yard installed.

Kind of pricey for a 'mid grade' carpet

Let me guess.....he also offered 0% financing as well?

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 05:26 PM   #5
Cruising into the sunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Let me guess.....he also offered 0% financing as well?
Yep!

My SO took the $5200 price and when I called him to tell him he had to put the price in line with the actual square footage, he told me I had no idea how to measure. I told him I had designed and built the house and worked in construction for 40 years and kinda know my way around a tape measure. He just kept getting louder and louder, over-talking me, as if shoving himself on me would seal the deal. Finally I told him I was cancelling the order. About 10 minutes later he sent me a nasty text. Very professional.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:34 PM   #6
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 17,878

Nasty Text?

If he works for the store, I would forward said nasty text to management...

If he is the owner, not much you can do.

You did the right thing in canceling the order.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 05:39 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
I understand there's waste and it has to be paid for. I have no problem with that. When I was doing electrical estimates, I added waste but didn't charge labor for it. I always figured 10% waste so the 15% seemed a bit high. Their price includes moving furniture too and they won't have any furniture to move with the waste. He also said they figure each stair as two yards. Maybe that's normal, I don't know. What I do know is he added 15% waste to each of those 64 yards.

There's 3 rooms at 12'x12', one at 16'x12', a hallway that's 4'x30' a small walk-in closet and two stairways that are 4' wide. Pretty much everything can come off a 12' roll with little waste.

FWIW, after he tried to convince us his $8,200 price was justified and I walked away, he told my SO he could do it for $5,200. But even at 15% waste, he still over estimated the area by 1/3. And I checked my numbers both physically and in AutoCad and both came up the same.
I understand and I would have booted him out the door too.Was just trying to make a point with some loose numbers.
Wish you luck with finding an honest person to get the carpet from.I have a flooring store here that always does me right.I install flooring but don't do carpet so use their guys.Guess they know they better be honest because it's going to be repeat business.
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 05:48 PM   #8
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 518

Sounds like he is trying to rip you off. If I measured and you had a question, I would go over each cut and show you how much it takes. Unless it is a patterned carpet, the 12 x 12 room should be a 12 x 12' 3" piece. On any drop room, we allow 3 inches because most houses are not built square. About 10% is standard waste, but with mostly drop rooms and a non-patterned carpet, it shouldn't be that much. It varies a lot depending on where you live, but around here a mid-grade carpet would run $20-$25 a yard and that's carpet, pad and labor. A standard box step takes about 1/2 yard of carpet. A standard step is normally about 36" wide and 18" to 20" over the step. Ask people you know for a local independent installer. Let him measure, tell you the yardage and labor cost. Then go shopping knowing how much material you need.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 05:58 PM   #9
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 518

Using your measurements, I come up to 105 to 110 yds, including waste. I could be a little off, but I doubt that I am 60 yds off. I have been installing since 1973.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 06:28 PM   #10
DIY Enthusiast

Rewards Points: 504

Sounds like he wanted you to pay for your job and someone else's job with the added 60 yards!
sublime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 06:36 PM   #11
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

Dang--I wish you were closer---my carpet guy is very honest and does a fine installation---proper pricing also---I don't think he goes that far south---
Old 09-24-2014, 08:28 AM   #12
Cruising into the sunset

Thank you for the replies.

I've dealt with a lot of sales people over the years but I've never run across one like this. It was impossible to have a conversation with him. He wouldn't even let you finish a sentence before interrupting you. And then to turn to insults when you try to have a discussion? He said he'd been doing this 15 years but if this is how he treats anyone who questions him, he must lose a lot of business.

Rusty, when I measured the stairs I figured 19" over the step. One staircase is 47" wide. The other 43" wide. When I was trying to explain to the guy that you could get three cuts from a single roll that would cover two stair cases and one hallway with little waste, he became even more adamant I hadn't a clue what I was talking about. Then he admitted he puts the numbers in his laptop and it figures the yardage. That's when he also mentioned any staircase over 3' wide is calculated at 2 yards per step. Maybe the company put a heavy fudge factor in there to ensure all the jobs are profitable and this guy just went with the program.

I know installing carpet on stairs takes much more labor than floors and I have no problem paying for that. But to take 0.7 yards and inflate it to 2.0 yards and then add 15% waste?

And when I tried to tell him the entire waste factor was excessive and why, he again interrupted and told me he's been doing this for 15 years and I had no idea what I was doing. I just wanted him to explain how he came up with the waste factor but all he could say was I was clueless and he was the pro and I needed to accept that as fact. It was like talking to a teenager - closed ears, open mouth.

Looking back, when he dropped the price from $8.2K to $5.2K and upgraded the carpet to 60 oz, maybe that price was the best he could do and when I caught him on the discrepancy in total area, he got defensive. At least I'll be better prepared for the next guy. I should have measured before calling anyone it and maybe this would have never happened.

For future reference, what price range is normal for 60 oz, one color carpet with 7/16" padding? Taking his number against the actual yardage + 10% put that combination, including installation and furniture moving, at $44/yd.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:00 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 82

If that's how he handles the sales part of the job, just imagine the quality of work and what trouble you'd go through trying to get something corrected if there was a mistake on their end.
r0ckstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement