Porcelain Tile- Laid Down Same Way As Ceramic? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-12-2014, 02:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,062

Porcelain tile- laid down same way as ceramic?

People,

Laying down 18" porcelain tile. Ive laid down ceramic before many times, but since porcelain is "cut" to exact specs, is that laid down "tighter" than ceramic? If I laid ceramic about 3/16" grout joint, could I lay down porcelain say, 1/8 or so? Whats best looking/typical?

thaks
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2014, 05:31 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 750

Person,

You're referring to tiles that are rectified to size. First confirm that the tiles you bought are rectified. Porcelain tiles are not all rectified. They, like anything else, come in grades that are all over the map. Just because they are very hard and may not wear out, doesn't mean they're good quality. Some porcelain tiles are junk.

So, after checking a tile from many if not all boxes, you can plan to install them as close as ⅛" apart. Some people like em even closer, but it's not a good idea.

Don't forget to be sure to check that the floor is flat, very flat.

Tell us about your floor and plans.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2014, 06:57 PM   #3
Pro

Rewards Points: 502

Porcelain tile- laid down same way as ceramic?

I would dry lay some tiles out for flatness of the floor, if the floor isn't completely flat the tile will rock and that will result in lack of thinset bond.
JetSwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2014, 07:24 AM   #4

Thanks, people! Right- good idea to verify flatness of slab. I doubt it is perfectly flat, but thats why Im planning to use the 1/2" tooth trowel vs the 3/8". Its 2 small rooms (kitchen and bedroom). Puny in law apptmt.

Even though tile can be junk, arent they all cut at least to exacting size? Anyway, I will measure a few to check, but good tip not to go smaller than 1/8". Will probably go slight wider.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:33 AM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 558

Quote:
Originally Posted by noquacks View Post
Even though tile can be junk, arent they all cut at least to exacting size? Will probably go slight wider.
No not necessarily. Unless you have purchased and paid for "rectified tile" then there is the chance of some slight variance in sizes.

"Rectified tiles" are sawn to a specific size but regular tiles can vary in size and warpage.

By the way...Porcelain tile IS ceramic tile, using a slightly different recipe.
Also...DO NOT MIX LOT NUMBERS.

You should experiment a little with your trowel size. I would much rather use a 1/4" X 1/4" X 3/8" trowel to comb the substrate then also skim-coat the backs of the tiles.

Using a 1/2" trowel can produce a lot of unwanted "float" and a lot of purge to be cleaned up. Your call.
Old 12-13-2014, 01:06 PM   #6

thnaks, bud. good point about too much slop/ooze to clean up with a 1/2" tooth. maybe 3/8 should be good enough (Ive used that for years for ceramic). Now, you say "porcellain IS ceramic? Same thing? Whats the deal?

Ive just measured dry tile in that room to get the right lay out, and in the process, gently bumped the tiles to each other and CHING- chipping galore!!! never had that with regular ceramic tile, Sheesh. Guess I have to be extra careful in handling/laying this "porcelain", right?

Yes, I did get one lot.
Old 12-13-2014, 02:51 PM   #7
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 558

Quote:
Originally Posted by noquacks View Post
thnaks, bud. good point about too much slop/ooze to clean up with a 1/2" tooth. maybe 3/8 should be good enough (Ive used that for years for ceramic). Now, you say "porcellain IS ceramic? Same thing? Whats the deal?

Ive just measured dry tile in that room to get the right lay out, and in the process, gently bumped the tiles to each other and CHING- chipping galore!!! never had that with regular ceramic tile, Sheesh. Guess I have to be extra careful in handling/laying this "porcelain", right?

Yes, I did get one lot.
Porcelain tile can be super brittle, you don't want to clang them together, especially the square edged tile. Save the chipped tiles for cutters.

Porcelain tile has the lowest moisture absorption rate of most all tiles (0.50%). Because of this it has more density (harder) and is more brittle.

You may notice that when regular ceramic tiles are bounced off of one-another they clang a little bit, Porcelain tile actually chimes when they are banged together. Now there's some totally useless information!!!
noquacks (12-14-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement