Plank Subfloor And Tile - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-22-2014, 03:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 12

Plank subfloor and tile

There are several threads on this, but haven't found one that helps me. I have a small bathroom floor, 4 X 4, it was redone years ago where someone took out the original concrete subfloor and tile, put down 3/4" plywood and sheet flooring. Removed all of that to install new plywood over the planks for ceramic tile, but am having a heck of a time with the subfloor. If I put down the plywood and screw it down, it will for sure have dips and peaks in a couple spots. I have been working on leveling the subfloor which has 2 high spots such that I can put down strips of luan paneling in the low spots to fill those gaps and not have the new plywood bend down right there. We're talking 1/4" under the new plywood if I didn't level it up better. I am going to use Ditra, the floor deflection is zero, the 2X10 joist span being only about 6 ft. in that area. Should I continue to get the subfloor set so the new plywood sets flat, or just screw the new plywood down and use a leveling compound to fill in those dips cause by the screws?
CALNNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2014, 03:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 144

If your putting down new plywood and it is "dipping" the old subfloor has to be doing the same.Level the subfloor and put the new ply on a level surface..I have never seen a floor,even 4 x4 with no deflection.
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2014, 03:50 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 12

It's not deflecting, the 60 year old subfloor has a couple planks that are a bit lower that the adjacent ones, and they do not move at all. If I tried to jack them level, they would crack, all yellow pine. All that was compensated for when the original concrete tile base was laid in. I wouldn't have pulled up the newer 3/4" ply subfloor if the previous person had done a better job of cutting the hole for the soil pipe, there was one screw holding the flange down, and air under the rest. So, I guess my question boils down to continuing to work on leveling the low boards with luan and planing, or put down the new ply subfloor, screw it down, and fill in the low spots.
CALNNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2014, 05:13 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 750

CAL,

You say the floor has "zero" deflection. That is not possible. Even concrete and steel deflect. But yes, I agree your joists spanning only 6' should be very solid. That's not the deflection to worry about though. It's the between-the-joists deflection that is most important.

You appear to have a plank subfloor that is not in very good condition. I'm not sure which way to go to fix it, but I might consider removing those old planks and installing new 3/4" ply or OSB style subfloor.

I don't think I would be trying to level it by shimming the darn thing. It's likely to end up too high and you're liable to create voids which will bounce.

The new tile won't care if the floor is level, it wants flat. Both would be best though.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement