Is Pergo XP A Good Product For Pets? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-03-2014, 08:33 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 113

Is pergo XP a good product for pets?

I have four dogs and two cats. Would Pergo XP be a good product for pets? Would I need some type of underlayment for this product? Is there a better alternative? Is it easy to install? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
EFTHIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2014, 07:22 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 780

I'm not a fan of laminate floors, but it might be a good alternative for you.

Be sure to read their installation specs and see if you qualify. https://na.pergo.com/pdfs/installati...ials_Guide.pdf

Tell us more about your situation.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2014, 11:49 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 113

Why do you not like laminate ? Would hardwood be a better choice?
EFTHIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2014, 03:34 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 632

Installing laminate for pets is a good idea, most people do not like laminate because it rarely increases the value of your home. Unlike hardwood, which adds value, but it's all dependent on what you are using it for. Personally, I wouldn't go with Pergo, I would go to a specialty flooring store and see what they have. Pergo is a residential product, no matter what the line is, and I'd go for something better. I had wilsonart for 15 years and it was fantastic, I've installed all sorts of pergo products and none of them would last that long, or look as good. I put bamboo in last year, and have two 70lb dogs, and it's holding up well. The thing to look at, no matter what the brand or product, is take out a key and try and scratch up the samples. The top coating is what's going to show the scratches. I looked at all sorts of different samples and some scratched, some did not. It all depends on the top coating. They will tell you bamboo is the hardest product, but I found several bamboo samples that scratched just as easy as wood. I finally found a product with an aluminum oxide type finish that resisted the scratching best. I went with the fossilized stranded bamboo from www.calibamboo.com It was probably about $5 sq ft, so nothing outrageous.
taylorjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:26 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 260

I don't know what kind of laminate we have but I can tell you the one good thing about it is that it hasn't scratched. We have just one dog and a two year old who rides his balance bike around on it.

The problem I have had is joints separating in several places. Also if you get any water on the floor it will swell.
msaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:58 PM   #6
Contractor

Rewards Points: 75

I have it installed in my house. Both floors. My dog is a shepherd/husky with more energy than the sun... Its held up pretty well only damage is from me dropping a framing hammer thru the attic access... Ive installed it in a number of houses as well, and have yet to receive any negative reviews. Also, the XP comes with an attached underlayment, and they do NOT recommend using any additional as it will void the warranty.

Last edited by steveinNEPA; 07-04-2014 at 11:08 PM.
steveinNEPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 11:08 PM   #7
Contractor

Rewards Points: 75

As far as easy to install, depends what you classify as easy. If you can read a tape accurately, cut well and figure your layout YES its easy. I recommend a GOOD table saw with a GOOD carbide tipped blade for ripping the wall side planks and the same goes for a chop box to cut pieces. The more teeth the better. Diablo has one just for laminates and it costs enough to hurt (for a saw blade), close to 70$ for a 10 inch, but it works very well. Either that or a carbide tipped ultra fine finish blade with a high tooth count (I use diablo). Laminates EAT saw blades because of how its made. Also have a tapping block and a pull bar handy (buy the kit for 20 bucks at lowes or HD).

As for base and 1/4 round, Ive ran it under just the base with no issues, but Ive also had to use 1/4 round in front of the base. Please dont use shoe style, not that its the wrong product, but I just hate the way it looks... And remember to leave some room for expansion, do NOT run it tight to the walls, leave an 1/8 to a quarter space on all walls.

You will also need to have T mold, transitions/thresholds, possibly stair nose etc etc. Take everything into account before you buy it all. Also beware that (if your HD is like mine) they probably dont have it all on hand and will need to order it in. Especially the stair nose...
steveinNEPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:26 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

Laminate is the perfect solution for pets. Hardwood will scratch up and will not be covered under warranty. Laminate tends to hold up to pet nails. Just keep in mind, it is pressed board so if any water ( I.e. Water bowls etc) sits on the surface for any period of time, it will seep into the seams and the laminate will blow up like wet cardboard. I hope that helps
davesim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement