OSB Sub Floor Vs Plywood? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-30-2013, 06:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

OSB sub floor vs plywood?

Our contractor just put OSB down as our sub floor after stating he was going to use plywood. We are on a raised foundation and had ripped the floor out to the 2x6 supports.
aegoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2013, 06:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

What thickness of OSB? and I would ask him why he used osb instead of the Plywood he said he would use, also what does the contract call for.?
merle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2013, 07:12 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 17,912

2 X 6 floor joist
Sure hope there only running about 6'.
What grade of OSB?
Is it Advantec 3/4" T X G? If so that's far better then plywood.
More stable, water resistant, less deflection, 0 chance of delamination, holds nails and screws better then plywood.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
framer52 (04-03-2013), Kyle_in_rure (04-02-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2013, 10:47 PM   #4
Architectural Sculptor

Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegoldman View Post
Our contractor just put OSB down as our sub floor after stating he was going to use plywood..

No doubt because OSB is CHEAPER, I really hate that stuff with a passion, it stinks and outgasses for weeks to months, it gets wet about one time and that's the end of it, it's just cheap throwaway waste mixed with glue and chemicals.
I ordered a bunch of sheets of 3/4 CDX was what I specified from my local lumberyard to do some flooring in my house, they delivered the dozen or so sheets I ordered but it was not CDX, I forget now if it was OSB or particleboard but trying to be polite, nice I said "I'm sorry, but I ordered CDX plywood can you change it?" and the guy replied that "all the builders around here use OSB" and then I had to say that that's fine for them, I'm not part of the "all the builders here club" and that I wanted CDX plywood in my house, not this stuff because it STINKS and its garbage.

They came out and picked up the wrong stuff they delivered and left the CDX I originally ordered.

Personally I prefer CDX plywood, at least it's mostly wood, just laminated in several layers, so the glues used are minimal and it doesn't stink or outgas nearly as bad or long as OSB or particleboard.
I don't even like MDF either that they seem to be using in almost everything now from furniture to flooring.

Last edited by RWolff; 04-02-2013 at 10:52 PM.
RWolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:55 PM   #5
Architectural Sculptor

Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by merle View Post
I would ask him why he used osb instead of the Plywood he said he would use
Seems like asking a bank robber why he robbed the bank He used the osb because it's cheaper and more money in his pocket would be my guess.
RWolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:52 PM   #6
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 9,338

OSB tends to get a bad rap...

Based on my experience so far....OSB is ideal as shear walls...but is not the best choice for sub floor or roofing. It does not have the same stiffness as plywood.

As for soaking up water the first time.....yes, unsealed edges can expand if allowed to get wet....but it is rated for exterior use....I've had my house exterior exposed for about a year now and non of the OSB is showing any wear and tear for it....rain hits it and it just runs off....

With that said....

If he is using Adventec like Joe mentioned above...then it's fine....if he is using 1/2" OSB on top of those 2x6's......then you have problems....

What is the span of those 2x6's?

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link

Last edited by ddawg16; 04-03-2013 at 09:05 AM.
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:24 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 17,912

Your trying to put compleatly differant materials all in in one bad apple basket.
MDF, Partical board, OSB made for sheathing, and Advantec are all completly differant products.
CDX is full of voids in the core plys and can compress when walked on, why would I want that under my finished flooring?
I've pulled out many a bathroom floor where plywood was used and it's completly rotted and covered with mold, I've yet to see one Advantic floor get distroyed.
One had a leaking wax ring and the linolium was floating on top of the 1/4 underlaymant it was so bad.
I removed the 1/4" and the Advantec was fine under it and could be reused once things dryed out.

As far as stinking, I've used Advantec for every job I've done and never once smelled anything even when it got wet from a rain, and not one single customer has ever mentioned anything about an odor.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:00 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 528

Joe, I have yet to see regular 3/4 OSB floors with the problems being discussed.

As far as out gassing, plywood and OSB all use the same types of glue so they both out gas.

The irrational fear of new products that are actually better for building homes is just a fear from carpenters that are reluctant to change.

Plywood has it's place but sub floors is not one of them, anymore. I have removed many a sheet on new homes where the plywood had delaminated from on rain storm. Imagine if it had been a leak over the years......
framer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to framer52 For This Useful Post:
joecaption (04-03-2013)
Old 04-03-2013, 09:05 AM   #9
JOATMON

I guess my house will fall down.......I have 1 1/8" T&G for my subfloor......

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
Old 04-03-2013, 09:10 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 528

Why such a thick sub floor?
I know it is common in the west, just never understood why...
framer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:46 AM   #11
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by framer52 View Post
Why such a thick sub floor?
I know it is common in the west, just never understood why...
The sub floor on my existing house is 3/4....I'm doing a 2-story addition...the plans called for it.....I balked at first...but now that I have it....wouldn't do it any other way......

No give...no squeaks....no bounce....it's quieter.....almost like walking on a slab.....

I'll be tiling the bathroom in about 4 weeks....I suspect that when we start....the floor is going to be FLAT....so flat that I bet I could get by with 1.4" cement board vs the 1/2" that is usually recommended.....

Old 04-03-2013, 12:34 PM   #12
Floor Installer

Rewards Points: 154

I have worked in new houses with 3/4" OSB as subfloor that had been rained on. It was so soft that when I stretched the carpet, the tack strip nails pulled out of the floors. I charge extra now if it's OSB, because I have to renail the tackstrip with longer nails. Very labor intensive.
sam floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:11 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 596

I've heard many hardwood installers won't install over OSB. After having my parents deal with the crackles and pops in their floor, I'd tend to agree.
operagost is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement