OSB Over Existing Tile? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-20-2015, 05:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 20

OSB over Existing Tile?

Now Iím looking at using OSB as a flooring solution due to money constraints (but really wanting the carpet out of my new house). So somewhat temporary but it may be a few months or a year unless I like the OSB and it's working out fine. I will be using a sealant of some sort, the only DIY blog I found with experience with OSB flooring used Varathane so I may do that.
There is pre-existing flooring that cannot be removed underneath the carpet. It is vinyl asbestos tiles (over concrete slab). My question is then, how do I lay the OSB? I know that one side of OSB is usually tongue and groove, but Iím under the impression the other side is not? Someone correct me if I am wrong. And I obviously cannot nail it to the tiles, so with it being t&g is it okay to treat it like floating laminate floors and just lock all of them in place?
And should I being laying an underlayment? I have heard some people put vapor barrier underneath and I read someone put like poly form...or foam or something like that underneath.
Lastly, do I need to treat it like any other flooring and leave like a half inch from the wall for expansion? Sorry so many questions- I've been searching all day and I'm not finding a good consensus and there's not a WHOLE lot on OSB, especially as flooring.
jessicurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2015, 06:05 PM   #2
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 17,740

You will not be happy with the OSB as a floor surface. Even if you coat it with Varathane, it won't take long for splinters to be an issue.

I think you would be better off with just the tile.

And....how do you know it has asbestos?

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2015, 06:13 PM   #3
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

Any wood product ,laid directly on top of a concrete slab, is going to be troublesome.

Tell us why you need to cover the slab----and why you think OSB might be a good solution.
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2015, 06:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
You will not be happy with the OSB as a floor surface. Even if you coat it with Varathane, it won't take long for splinters to be an issue.

I think you would be better off with just the tile.

And....how do you know it has asbestos?
Really?? I read about splinters but no one ever had complaints. Is there nothing I could seal it with to keep splintering at bay? And the house was built in the 50's, the tiles match exactly with the pattern and style and time of vinyl asbestos tiles. Unfortunately.
Old 10-20-2015, 06:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Any wood product ,laid directly on top of a concrete slab, is going to be troublesome.

Tell us why you need to cover the slab----and why you think OSB might be a good solution.
Ah well that's good to know although unfortunate. I need to cover the tiles is the issue. I know they are very durable but the most common suggestion has been to cover them not leave them exposed. And I've just read lots of good reviews on osb as durable, stable, cost effective flooring. And it looks neat.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:13 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 18,384

Not sure where you have been looking but OSB was never meant to be used as a finished floor.
You keep saying tiles, what size are they and have you had them tested for Asbestos or just guessing?
No way would I be using OSB as a finished floor!!!
Old 10-20-2015, 08:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Not sure where you have been looking but OSB was never meant to be used as a finished floor.
You keep saying tiles, what size are they and have you had them tested for Asbestos or just guessing?
No way would I be using OSB as a finished floor!!!
Just googling. It's on several blogs and YouTube and it was also on the reviews for the osb itself when I looking at it as subflooring.
Tiles are eh I'm having trouble recalling size. I don't think they're 12x12 that sounds too big. But they have not been tested but they are identical to those produced in the time and most houses were built with them then not. They're hideous anyways. It looks like a school or hospital.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:31 PM   #8
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 7,644

if you can do the work, you could lay down commercial tile or commercial carpet over the OSB for less than a dollar per foot. It would at least give you a finished floor.

If you are planing to refinish with a premium product later, the carpet would be easiest to pull up and remove.
Old 10-20-2015, 09:03 PM   #9
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 780

What makes you think you can't or shouldn't remove the tiles? It sounds like the tiles are vinyl asbestos or asphalt for sure, but they won't bite you. They are easily removed, just don't grind or sand them. If you're worried for some reason, mist the areas with water to keep everything damp while working.

The claim that those tiles are dangerous is beyond ridiculous, but it keeps abatement companies and lawyers in the green.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
ddawg16 (10-20-2015), Yodaman (10-20-2015)
Old 10-20-2015, 11:32 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 6,652

Putting down Linoleum is going to be a whole lot cheaper and easier on your back, then laying down a bunch of sheets of OSB.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 01:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaman View Post
if you can do the work, you could lay down commercial tile or commercial carpet over the OSB for less than a dollar per foot. It would at least give you a finished floor.

If you are planing to refinish with a premium product later, the carpet would be easiest to pull up and remove.
Yes I was looking at commercial vinyl but didn't like the look as much and wasn't sure I'd do well with the adhesive- I was scared I'd mess it up. So if I do the vinyl tiles, I do also need a subflooring over the existing tile? Sorry for all the questions, I can research all day but I am a novice at all this kind of work and I'd rather someone directly tell me if they've got the experience!

Any other ideas for cost efficient, temporary flooring?
Old 10-21-2015, 01:58 PM   #12
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicurr View Post

Any other ideas for cost efficient, temporary flooring?
Yea....click and snap engineered flooring....I did my son's room with stuff from HD....I believe it was like $0.88 sq/ft. 10 Year warranty.

I'm sure it would look a whole lot better than OSB

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
jessicurr (10-21-2015), SPS-1 (10-21-2015)
Old 10-21-2015, 03:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Yea....click and snap engineered flooring....I did my son's room with stuff from HD....I believe it was like $0.88 sq/ft. 10 Year warranty.

I'm sure it would look a whole lot better than OSB
I actually like the look of OSB lol it reminds me of cork. But has it been durable? I'm looking to put in high traffic areas as well and also have a pet. I've read a lot of poor reviews about the cheaper and lock in floors. That's why I kind of had hopped on a different train. Thank you.
Old 10-21-2015, 03:39 PM   #14
JOATMON

The second story of my garage has OSB as the second layer (plywood 1st layer).

It was not long before I realized it was not a very good surface.

Click on the garage link in my signature for pictures.

Trust me, you don't want OSB as your floor.

Old 10-21-2015, 04:30 PM   #15
Artist

Rewards Points: 42

Just the stench of OSB would put me off. The stuff reeks. Takes forever for the smell to fade.
HotCoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
flooring , oriented strand board , osb , subfloor