Old Self Stick Tile On Hardwood Floor Removal - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-06-2014, 10:27 AM   #1
DIY'er

Rewards Points: 35

Old self stick tile on hardwood floor removal

I have been going through my old house built in '45 taking up carpet that was put down over the orignal hardwood floors agh! So far its going easy till I got the dineing area and found another argh moment, the tiled over the wood floors and carpeted over the tile, why!? Any way the carpet come up easy and after scraping up stuck on dirt and cleaning the floor, some of these ugly 60's looking self stick tiles had peeled up and some are not sticking very well anymore, and they actually come up pretty easy with a small floor scraper or nail bar, the downside is now a stucky residue on teh wood floors. I tried using the floor scraper to no avail to remove the sticky residue. I have tried researching this on google, and some say warm soapy water and scrap up the residue, last I want to do is add water to my floor. I also read about either adhesive remover or mineral spirts or thinner.

My deal is this inside my home, I have pets plus us and don't want a high oder cleaner or thinner to smell up the house plus the fact my hot water gas heater is in the pantry in the kitchen and last thing I need is a flash over from the fumes. The condition of the wood floors seems to be in ok shape, the color is not really a matter as eventually I want to redo the floors but right now want the tile and sticky residue off, since I am sure over time the tiles after alking on them will start to lift off anyway.

I am also thinking maybe using my palm sander and try sanding it off but am sure its going to gum up the sandpaper. I plan on doing a few squares at a time as not to over use a cleaner and give it time to air out if I have to go that route. I have a lowes and home depot here and a ace with in a short drive as well. I am not really concerned about finish at this point as later on that will be done, right now just want these tiles up and sticky gone.
dirtrider73068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2014, 10:55 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 17,914

Mineral sprits and plenty of terry cloth towels is the only thing I've tried that works.
Shut off the water heater, have everyone leave the house and plenty of ventilation.
It dries really quick and the room will be safe within an hour.
The best way I've found to get those tiles off is with a heat gun.
Wear gloves so the hot tiles do not burn you.
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2014, 11:10 AM   #3
DIY'er

Kinda why I am hoping for good warm days that I could open the windows in the house and let the air in and out, but since winter is setting in its been kinda cool out suppose to be in the 50's today but still kinda chilly, may be a project to save till the spring when it warms up enough to leave windows open while I clean it up. I may do a spot and try it see how bad its going to be, but if I remeber right mineral spirits does have a good oder about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2014, 11:47 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 144

+1 on Joes answer.Some of the adhesives are different and mineral spirits works better on some than others.I have used Xylol on some with good results but it is VERY flammable.The only advantage is it cuts quicker and flashes off much quicker.
If refinishing the wood floors get plenty of sandpaper when renting the sander.You won't get all of the glue up and it will still load the sandpaper some.
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 12:14 PM   #5
DIY'er

Thanks I am happy to see the hardwoods under all this, but just boggles my mind and erks me that people would carpet or tile over hardwood floors. I have always loved hardowood floors love the look and sound walking on them.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:32 PM   #6

I bought a 1976 build house to flip a couple years ago.I had a 14 X 22 living room that was very nice but had old worn carpet.After pealing up the carpet at one end I saw like new hardwood oak under it.I took the carpet up about 8' and the rest of the room had been covered in vinyl.Bummer.Aparently they had a wood stove at that end and left the hardwood for that and the hearth.Looks nice now but not one of my better days.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:53 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 180

Back in the 70's my Dad covered up all the hardwood flooring in the house I grew up in with this gold/orange coloured carpet. It seemed like a good idea at the time and felt great when my brothers and I would wrestle on it. However, when I grew up I started to realize that the time line of that carpet should have come to a close.

Last week I went back to the old house with my brother who'd just finished tearing all the carpet out and the floors all looked beautiful underneath. Couldn't believe it. The stairs had a little wear and tear on them but were still in very acceptable condition.
Wildbill7145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 12:59 PM   #8
DIY'er

It was like that with mine in places like the bedrooms and hallway the floors under the carpet were in good shape except where animals had ruined it, since then they get put up in crates or left out. Once something like that happens its very hard to get the stains and smell out so they don't go back, I have done everything under the sun, to use cleaners, bleach, got on my hands and knees with a scrub brush. It took some time and letting air get to it to dry it completely out. I know in the end when I do refinish my floors its going to take a dark stain, but also hoping in the mean time walking on them like they are wears down and takes some of the dark color out, but I am doubtful of that.
Old 12-06-2014, 02:11 PM   #9

Try a solution of oxalic acid and water to get the dark stains out.Do a google search.It's a strong bleach that works to some extent on wood as long as the stains aren't to deep.
Old 12-06-2014, 02:17 PM   #10
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako1 View Post
Try a solution of oxalic acid and water to get the dark stains out.Do a google search.It's a strong bleach that works to some extent on wood as long as the stains aren't to deep.
So thats more or less a wood bleach from what I just read. Will keep this in mind and what and where I can get this and give it a try on the stains.

Thanks.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:39 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 72

Have you tried using an oscillating tool with flat blade? It works every time I'm having problem with adhesives in our stairs. If it won't work, I use mineral spirits.
emmyshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement