Old Padding Stuck To Linoleum - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-17-2015, 01:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2
Old padding stuck to linoleum

1st post! Great forums - jumping in with both feet so to speak.

Problem - I am having issues removing old carpet padding that is stuck (because of time and use) to a linoleum floor.

Question - other than manual scraping with a plastic mudding knife, does anyone have any recommendations to loosen the padding without damaging the linoleum?

Specifics: The padding is so worn and old it as turned to a hard, dirt-like substance (photo attached). This padding was installed (unknown timeframe) over a gorgeous linoleum floor (from 1952). The carpet was subsequently removed in the early 90s, but not the padding. Former owner then installed wooden paneling over the padding, which I am now removing to get to the original flooring. Most of the padding as come up, except in the high traffic areas - which seems to have fused the padding with the floor. So far, scrapping it as worked on some of it but not all. I'm going through plastic mudding knifes like water and am building impressive arm muscles.

House specifics: 1952 east-central Illinois home, designed by architect Robert Smith - beginning of his mid-century modern phase (his more modern work can be found in West Lafayette, IN on the Tour de Lafayette) The former owners we purchased the house from spent about 20+ years fixing decades of neglect very cheaply and covering up the houses modern features. While liveable, there is a lot of work to be done.
Attached Images

Jgeigner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2015, 02:21 PM   #2
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 1,668

That is what was called "bubble rubber" pad. It actually was mostly clay. As it got old it turned back to clay. I know of no way to get it off without damaging the lino. You might try wetting an area to see if that will work.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement