Oak Hardwood Floor Restoration - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-10-2014, 08:38 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Oak Hardwood Floor Restoration

Hello,

110 year old house. Pulled up 40 year old carpet to restore hardwood floors. 3/8 X 2 1/4 Oak t&g.

I have restored most of the floors in the house to great satisfaction.
I hired a contractor to finish a couple of rooms and the landing/hallway from second floor to first. I had him do this while we were on vacation as we were not going to have access to second floor (bedrooms) for a few days during the stain and varnish.

Now back from vacation the stain and varnish have been laid down but there are deep sand marks left over the entire floor, like they stopped at 40 grit.

This guy is a close friend of a family member and is very reasonable.
There is a night and day difference between the other floors in the house compared to this.

Please see pics and provide any professional feedback on how to approach this if you would.

Thanks.

This link is to four different pics, one of which appears below.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1136012...eat=directlink

jefsboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2014, 12:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,042

"Now back from vacation the stain and varnish have been laid down but there are deep sand marks left over the entire floor, like they stopped at 40 grit."

Explain to him like you explained to us, and see what his reaction is.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2014, 06:04 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

I will do that. Hoping to talk with him tomorrow.

I am a pretty particular person and have spent the past 5 years renovating this old house and sometimes go overboard on detail.
We have about $35,000 grand in this renovation and I feel like this is a blow. We were celebrating this as the last major interior job to the renovation work and feel this fell very short.

Wanting to make sure I am not going overboard as I have so much invested in the house; monetarily, time and heart.
jefsboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2014, 06:48 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,042

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefsboys View Post
I will do that. Hoping to talk with him tomorrow.

I am a pretty particular person and have spent the past 5 years renovating this old house and sometimes go overboard on detail.
We have about $35,000 grand in this renovation and I feel like this is a blow. We were celebrating this as the last major interior job to the renovation work and feel this fell very short.

Wanting to make sure I am not going overboard as I have so much invested in the house; monetarily, time and heart.

So how did you make out with the guy that refinished your floors, by the way that's quarter sawn oak,which is kinda rare these days.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement