New Tile Won't Fit Under Wall - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-10-2014, 08:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New tile won't fit under wall

I am re-doing the tile in my bathroom. The old tile ran under the drywall and terminated 1/8-1/4 inch before the frame. I just finished laying the hardibacker down and dry laid my tiles out. I noticed that they no longer fit under the drywall. I am assuming that this is due to the fact that the original concrete backer was laid directly on the subfloor without any thinset applied, whereas I did apply a layer. My question is:

Can the tiles terminate at the drywall instead of the frame, or will I need to cut the drywall?

Thanks!
1021km is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2014, 08:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 582

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1021km View Post
I am re-doing the tile in my bathroom. The old tile ran under the drywall and terminated 1/8-1/4 inch before the frame. I just finished laying the hardibacker down and dry laid my tiles out. I noticed that they no longer fit under the drywall. I am assuming that this is due to the fact that the original concrete backer was laid directly on the subfloor without any thinset applied, whereas I did apply a layer. My question is:

Can the tiles terminate at the drywall instead of the frame, or will I need to cut the drywall?

Thanks!
sure that would be ok....you are installing new base right?
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2014, 08:20 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 558

Quote:

Thanks!
Tile almost never goes under the drywall unless someone screwed up to begin with. Most all tile floor installations are to have a 1/4" gap around the perimeter of the room for expansion accommodation. Except at a tub or shower base where a 1/8" gap is the norm and then that tub/shower gap is to receive caulk, not grout. The gap around the rest of the room is allowed to remain open and is covered with baseboard.
ben's plumbing (10-10-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2014, 08:20 PM   #4

Sorry, I'm new to all of this, so am unfamiliar with the terminology. What does "base" refer to?
Old 10-10-2014, 08:22 PM   #5
Tileguy

Quote:
Sorry, I'm new to all of this, so am unfamiliar with the terminology. What does "base" refer to?
Baseboard. The trim ribbon of material that goes around the room and is attached to the wall. Usually wood.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:23 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 582

Quote:
thats the trim between floor and wall ...called baseboard
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 08:25 PM   #7

Man, you guys are quick. Thanks for the answer. I will be installing a baseboard. I have chosen a 3" section of tile instead of wood though. Does that change the answer at all?
Old 10-10-2014, 08:35 PM   #8
Tileguy

Quote:
Man, you guys are quick. Thanks for the answer. I will be installing a baseboard. I have chosen a 3" section of tile instead of wood though. Does that change the answer at all?
In that case nothing should really change but you may have to narrow your gap slightly. Use 1/8" spacers to stand the base on and then when all is said and done use caulk to close that gap between the floor and wall. Don't use grout there, it will crack. You can use grout between the wall/base tiles. You can also use caulk along the tops of the base tiles if you so choose.

You can buy caulk to match most grout colors.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:17 PM   #9

I think I understand, but just to be sure...

The space from the face of the drywall to the frame is about 1/2" deep and 1/2" tall. I have laid the hardibacker approximately 1/4" beyond the face of the drywall ( thinking that the expansion joint was supposed to be 1/4" from the frame, not the drywall). This means that the first 1/4" into the space is now only 1/8" tall as the hardibacker and thinset take up approximately 3/8" height (hence the reason the 1/4" tile no longer fits). If I understand your instructions correctly, I should leave a 1/4" gap between the floor tile and drywall; set down two 1/8" spacers in the gap, on the hardibacker (effectively placing the base's bottom edge in line with the drywall, and 1/8" below the surface of the floor tile); caulk the 1/8" gap once the base is set; and grout the remaining space between the base and floor tile once the caulk is dry? Does that sound about right?
Old 10-10-2014, 09:28 PM   #10
Tileguy

Install the floor tile leaving a 1/4" expansion-gap between the edge of the tile and any rigid obstacle. This gap stays open, do not grout it.

A tub or shower-base is the only exception, this is where a 1/8" expansion-gap is acceptable. Caulk this gap.

When installing the tile base, stand the material on a 1/8" spacer to create a vertical gap. This gap also gets caulk. (Any change-in-plane requires caulk, not grout.) The spaces between the base tiles also get grout the same as the floor tile.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:47 PM   #11

Got it. Thanks for the clarification! Now, back to work...
The Following User Says Thank You to 1021km For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2014, 10:00 PM   #12
Tileguy

Quote:
Got it. Thanks for the clarification! Now, back to work...
Have fun!
Advertisement