Need Some Adivce For Tiling - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-03-2014, 06:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need some adivce for tiling

Hello, Im a new user here and am looking for some advice on how to proceed with my basement reno. Sorry if im missing key information, Im not sure what info i need to supply.

What we have done so far

Framed over a concrete floor using 2x3s at 12 inch on centers.

We used 5/8’s OSB to go over top.

The plan is to do ceramic in the laundry area which is a 6x10 area. The total space of my basement is just under 200 sq feet.

What has to be done to prepare the subfloor for tile? I was told I can stick them right to the plywood from the guy at Lowes. I have been searching though the forums and from what i have read this is a bad idea. So what he sold me was a bag of UltraFlex, and 3/16 spacers.

Also from my reading im worried that the 5/8 OSB is not enough to support the tile.

Would screening be enough or do I need to thicken up the laundry area with some real plywood or concrete board?

Thanks in advanced for any help.
Jon.

Last edited by cdnjon; 07-03-2014 at 06:50 PM.
cdnjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2014, 07:33 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 780

Jon,

You are headed for a total disaster.

Where did you get the idea of building a "sleeper" floor over concrete below grade? It can work in some cases but usually not.

Quote:
I was told I can stick them right to the plywood from the guy at Lowes.
Plywood, what plywood? Did you tell him plywood? Even if it was plywood, you can not install direct to a subfloor. But the whole system (sleepers) is a bad idea regardless.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2014, 09:54 PM   #3
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 398

That wood on concrete will rot. The tile can go directly on the concrete with thinset. Mastic is a bad idea on any floor.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2014, 03:21 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

The whole idea came about when we purchased this house about two months ago. The basement was basically a bowl with it all sloping to the drain. At the lowest point we used a 2x3 + some cedar shims. The space was basically unusable the way it was. The thought was that with a sub floor we could get a nice level floor but still keep the slope underneath in case of a flood.

The basement is a walkout basement and not below grade ( i hope thats what that means)

We also laid a layer of vapor barrier between the concrete and the wood.

I did tell the guy at Lowes it was plywood but was referring to the OSB so probably more my fault then anything.

Last edited by cdnjon; 07-04-2014 at 03:26 AM.
cdnjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 11:09 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon
The basement is a walkout basement and not below grade ( i hope thats what that means)
That's fine as far as entering & exiting, but for floor coverings if one part of the floor is below grade, the whole thing is below grade. However depending on all the conditions the basement may be dryer than it otherwise might be.

Quote:
We also laid a layer of vapor barrier between the concrete and the wood.
That may be a very bad move. If there's any moisture rising from the ground, where will the moisture go?

For regular floor coverings you have to have proper conditions and also you have to do moisture testing.

Ceramic tiles over a base like you propose is guaranteed to fail. If moisture doesn't do it, movement will.

As for the OSB & plywood confusion, definitely no tile direct over OSB anywhere. No tile direct over any subfloor. But as mentioned your situation makes it all academic.

Go over the old concrete or make it flatter first.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement