Need Help With How To Fill In Cracks In Subfloor On Wooden Plank Floor - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-04-2014, 04:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need Help with how to fill in cracks in subfloor on wooden plank floor

I have a house built in the 1950s and had to take up the sub-floor by the toilet where there was a lot of dry rot. Underneath the 3/4" plywood subfloor are vertical planks. The vertical planks also have (1/2" minimum) large gaps between them and now the subfloor I laid down ALSO has at least 1/4 to 1/2 inch between them since I had to cut like 3 pieces to make it work with my limited tools and skill. This is on the 2nd floor.

I have no idea what Im doing but if I bought like some time of floor compoind to put between the cracks in the subfloor - in some areas it may fall through the main floor wood planks into the space between the 2 floors.

Is there like a recommended waterproof plastic I could put down between the main floor and subfloor for creating a space where no water can get through?

Ill be putting simple vinyl peel and stick tiles on top of the plywood subfloor

Thanks for any help!
mo2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2014, 05:25 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 144

Vertical is up and down.The planks are laid horizontally but probably on an angle.With your limited tools and skill you proabably should have taken more time to get it right.
Not trying to be hard on you but peel anstick tiles will not work with these gaps .It will all telegraph thru.Anykind of plastic or rubber filler I know of won't help with the tiles your using.It will give or shrink and still telegragh thru the tile.Any hard substance will not allow wood movement.You will get some ,especially in a bathroom.If you have room you may try some 1/4" underlayment over the plywood.
Not the best solution.Replacing the 3 pieces of 3/4 would be best.
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2014, 05:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

yes you are correct; they are not vertical but I mean at an angle. The peel and stick flooring was something I started to install after removing an old laminate - the sub-floor was ONE continual piece with no gaps - but now that I have removed this dry rot of which I did not know about until I removed old laminate - Ive now run into this problem.

What would you suggest then for a plank floor and then plywood subfloor over it? I read that you are supposed to leave a gap for movement but if thats the case then how do you seal up the gaps for then putting ANY type of flooring over it - whetever it may be - especially in a bathroom.

I plan on re-modeling in a few years but just want a quick fix for now. Ive fixed the water leak issue which was the old original return on the toilet.

All the youtube videos Ive found dont really address a plywood sub-floor over a plank main floor with major gaps.
mo2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2014, 07:52 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 750

You do not install most resilient flooring over 3/4" plywood subfloor. It's too rough and the joints are wide and often uneven. You're supposed to install 1/4" underlayment grade ply as directed by the floor manufacturer. It needs to be solid core and very smooth, and the seams are patched with the appropriate material.

If the floor wasn't as rough as your sounds, you might have been able to install certain sheet goods that are made to lay loose. But vinyl tiles.....

BTW, when repairing the subfloor you are not supposed to use small pieces. The subfloor should be supported by at least 3 joists and of course you install supporting blocks between the joists to support those ends. In this case the blocks are not needed cuz of the plank subfloor.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:03 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 558

Do all of your gaping new seams have support under them? I'm guessing "no". Did you remove the toilet to install the repair? I'm guessing "no".

Have you considered re-doing it? I'm guessing "no".
Advertisement