Need Advice How To Rebuild Bathroom Floor - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-04-2015, 12:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 32

Need advice how to rebuild bathroom floor

Hi all,

Im redoing a small Jack & Jill bathroom and ready to do the floor. Ive demoed it down to the plywood subfloor and made some repairs (ignore the tape) but have some questions on the best way to do this.

1. To bring it up back to the level it was, I was going to put down OSB (glue and screw?) then Durock with type 2 thinset and Durock screws then tape and tile. Do I level it with self-leveling compound over the cement board at this point before tiling or do I need to level the ply before build up the floor?

2. Due to the size of the patches and how uneven everything is, should I cut out all the plywood flush with the walls and replace it? Im guessing the best way is to sister 2x4 along the joists?

3. I want to avoid removing the tub so should fill that gap with thinset? Its sitting on 4 stacks of shims that are glued down to the floor. Ive seen some Youtube video of people using that foam spray but I dont think it would have the strength that cement would under it.

4. At what point do I install the vanity? Over the ply, OSB or cement board?

Also, Im not sure whats up with the 2x4 cut out under the door transition or that sheet metal patch at the top of the picture but I was going to remove it if I redo the whole subfloor.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Need advice how to rebuild bathroom floor-bath.jpg  
shark_bait is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2015, 10:01 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 780

Hi Shark Bait,

Please double check that your subfloor is really " cuz single layer subfloors must be t&g and I doubt your " meets such. Might be ⅝" though. How old is the house and give us an idea where it might be located. What did you remove from above this " ply?

1. I have a hunch you removed about " of deck mud and tiles. Yes - No? What is type 2 thinset? I've heard of type 1 and type 2 mastic, but not thinset. You use SLC after the " CBU is installed.

2. Maybe. Are the joists in plane with each other and flat/level both ways? Or is the ply bowed down cuz it's only "? Have you checked if the floor is flat using a long straight edge?

3. Judgement call, gotta see and feel it. I suppose you mean just the front face at the floor, not under the tub.

4. Why not install the vanity after the tiles are installed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkBait
Also, Im not sure whats up with the 2x4 cut out under the door transition or that sheet metal patch at the top of the picture but I was going to remove it if I redo the whole subfloor.
I have no clue. How about you describe it and post a portrait?

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
shark_bait (09-08-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2015, 11:08 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 32

Hi JazMan,

Thanks for the response! Here's a pic under the other door transition. There's a stone threshold on the top but it's a 1.5" total height from subfloor up. On the other side where there's a hole, there was a wooden threshold painted grey to try and match the stone on this side but was sloped down a bit since the other room is a tad higher than the one on this side.

1. Yes, sorry I meant Mastic although I have a 50lb bag of Porcelain Tile thinset mortar I could use since it's such a small area I could use that and have plenty to tile the floor.

2. You're right, it's probably 5/8" ply as a 1/2" is just a tad smaller in thickness by just a rough comparison. It is pretty uneven and a tad wobbly regardless.

3. Yes, I mean just the front face of the tub at the floor, not under the tub (where I did use foam to set it when I installed it).

4. I've always seen vanities installed somewhat lower than the tile level (tile up against the vanity) but didn't know if it was ok to install it over tile. A 60" granite countertop will be installed on top of the vanity so my plan was to install it over the 3/4" OSB then tile up against it.
Attached Thumbnails
Need advice how to rebuild bathroom floor-bath2.jpg  
shark_bait is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement