Moisture Content Hardwood Install - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-08-2015, 07:03 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 20

Moisture Content Hardwood Install

I am planning on installing hardwood floors in my single level home with basement. The hardwoods will not be installed on basement level. As part of my preparations I have been taking moisture readings. The moisture content of the 1/2" plywood subfloor is mostly 8%. However along a certain exterior wall I have had readings much higher 13-18%. The partcleboard I removed along these exterior walls was not wet. Just outside this specific wall a deck ties into the house. What could be causing this moisture. Please see pictures.

What would you put down over the plywood? 25/32 Advantech osb or 25/32 plywood?
Attached Thumbnails
Moisture Content Hardwood Install-dr.jpg   Moisture Content Hardwood Install-deck.jpg   Moisture Content Hardwood Install-under-deck.jpg  
shwagy357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2015, 07:22 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 18,376

Is that Hardee siding?
I see a bunch of possible issues likely causing your moisture issues and future problums.
Decking never should have been installed tight to the siding.
What's to stop water from running off that deck and running down inside that brick wall?
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2015, 08:36 PM   #3

I believe it is masonite siding

Please see the attached sketch.

Note the floor joist run continuously from inside the basement to outside underneath the deck.

The exterior edge of the subfloor is exposed to the outside.

What would you do reduce the moisture seen inside the house?
Attached Thumbnails
Moisture Content Hardwood Install-sketch.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2015, 09:14 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 18,376

Masonite had a class action suit long ago because of all the failures, it's ground up card board and soaks up water like a sponge.
Never should have been installed within a minimum of 2" of the decking.
Decking never should be installed tight to the siding.
There's no blocking under that deck over that brick so all the hot or cold air and water running off the deck is able to make it's way inside and inside that wall.
No sheathing and house wrap all the way down to the brick between the joist.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:01 AM   #5

How would you even begin to fix it?

Replace all the siding?

and

Cut enough off the joists to fit a ledger board in there?

Put tyvek between the new ledger board and exposed part of the subfloor?
Old 07-09-2015, 06:24 AM   #6

There is no ledger board.
Attached Thumbnails
Moisture Content Hardwood Install-no-ledger.jpg  
Old 07-09-2015, 06:41 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 125

I had an issue where the guy who built the deck fastened the ledger board to the siding which of course eventually caused all kinds of issues. I did not have the joist issue you have.

This deck is not built right. Joecaption has pretty well set forth all the issues. I am not sure how you go about this but the deck needs to first modified is it can withstand the construction. The decking needs to be removed near the house, lower siding removed so you can see what you have to deal with. I had to repair several studs, plates and sills in my walls that were suffering severe decay and carpenter ant issues. I also had to replace plywood sheathing, add the tyvek, mount the ledger board with lags, add the flashing and replaced the removed siding and repaint. I had to repair some inside drywall as we'll as I couldn't cut the drywall nails due to the close working conditions. In your case, you also need to remove the outside prt of the joists, repair the wall and add the ledger boards to hold up the deck. Depending on circumstances and how the rest of the deck is supported this may require removing the deck completely, fix the house and rebuild the deck.
jimn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement