Matching Solid Hardwood - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-20-2014, 02:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 589

Matching solid hardwood

I have real solid hardwood in my dining room. I would like to put hardwood down in my living room, stairs and second floor landing. The two bedrooms will get new carpet (I'm not a huge fan of hardwood in bedrooms). I believe the hardwood was originally installed when the house was built in the late 80s. Is this something a good flooring company can match or is this something that doesn't always match?

Is having real solid hardwood that much of a plus for people? If the living room hardwood won't match, I'm not opposed to replacing the dining room hardwood with a manufactured hardwood so everything can match.
h22lude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2014, 02:32 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,824

You will be hard pressed to match the solid as what is there has been down there for twenty years and has aged. You MIGHT get away with sanding EVERYTHING down and finishing from there but even a sanded floor that is 20+ years old will show that age. Ron
ront02769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2014, 02:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ront02769 View Post
You will be hard pressed to match the solid as what is there has been down there for twenty years and has aged. You MIGHT get away with sanding EVERYTHING down and finishing from there but even a sanded floor that is 20+ years old will show that age. Ron
That was my initial thought but wasn't sure.

Is there a down side to replacing solid wood flooring with manufactured flooring?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2014, 03:20 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 18,516

Not sure what you mean by "manufactured flooring"?
You can use prefinished hardwood, engineered, or the last one I'd ever suggest is laminate, but there is no "manufactured flooring".
Old 11-20-2014, 03:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Not sure what you mean by "manufactured flooring"?
You can use prefinished hardwood, engineered, or the last one I'd ever suggest is laminate, but there is no "manufactured flooring".
I meant engineered. I was just doing some reading and 1 site called called it manufactured because it isn't one solid piece. If I couldn't get the solid to match, I would probably replace everything with new engineered flooring.

I definitely wouldn't use laminate.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:17 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 768

Quote:
Originally Posted by ront02769 View Post
It can be done. My 1950's ranch had hardwood in all the room except for the kitchen and hallway. The local lumber yard supplied enough new oak to do those rooms. I then sanded down the entire floor and refinished it. You can't tell where the old/new wood meet.

Some of the old wood was pretty rough before too but now looks new.

And yes, use real wood. There is nothing like it.
AandPDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 08:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AandPDan View Post
It can be done. My 1950's ranch had hardwood in all the room except for the kitchen and hallway. The local lumber yard supplied enough new oak to do those rooms. I then sanded down the entire floor and refinished it. You can't tell where the old/new wood meet.

Some of the old wood was pretty rough before too but now looks new.

And yes, use real wood. There is nothing like it.
I do have a step down into the living room from the dining room. So it isn't like the wood is butting straight against each other so it may be harder to tell if the color doesn't match perfectly.

My plan is to sell this place in less than two years so I want to make it more desirable without spending a fortune. New carpets are the cheaper way to go but I think putting at least hardwood in the living room would be nice. Then maybe just do carpets on the stairs and all 2nd floor.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:02 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 768

Quote:
Originally Posted by h22lude View Post
My plan is to sell this place in less than two years so I want to make it more desirable without spending a fortune. New carpets are the cheaper way to go but I think putting at least hardwood in the living room would be nice. Then maybe just do carpets on the stairs and all 2nd floor.
Sounds like a good compromise.
AandPDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 09:58 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 72

I would prefer putting hardwood on floors & stairs and stain/ refinish them. Not only that it would look much better, it would also increase your home's value.
emmyshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement