LVP On Uneven Basement Floor? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-20-2019, 01:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 144

LVP on uneven basement floor?

I'm at the point of my project where it's time to decide on flooring. I'm concerned about a few uneven spots in the concrete basement floor. The concrete has a slight rise at the joints (see photos of worst area).

I would like to use an LVP product. As a test, I preassembled a few Coretec planks and slid them over to a high spot. I wasn't able to assemble directly over top of the uneven area. The joints between planks appear to withstand the differences in subfloor height, but there are some areas with air underneath the plank.

My questions:

1. Will this product (or any LVP) withstand life above an uneven subfloor? This is a small area along the wall and probably won't see much foot traffic.

2. Can I glue down the planks to ensure they follow the level of the subfloor? I don't care if the planks are wavy, just as long as the joints between planks stays tight. I'd make sure no butt joints hit anywhere near the uneven areas.

3. Should I use a different flooring type? Planks are convenient, but I wouldn't rule out a vinyl sheet if that would work better. I'd rather not do carpet in the basement.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
LVP on uneven basement floor?-img_2371.jpg   LVP on uneven basement floor?-img_2382.jpg   LVP on uneven basement floor?-img_2375.jpg   LVP on uneven basement floor?-img_2381.jpg   LVP on uneven basement floor?-img_2380.jpg  

pburgh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2019, 04:41 PM   #2

Re: LVP on uneven basement floor?

EDIT: Would an underlayment strategically trimmed to avoid the high parts work to level out the surface? This seems like a lot of material to consider leveling with machinery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2019, 06:16 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 988

What is the height difference between the slabs?
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2019, 07:09 PM   #4

I put a 4' level on the high side and leveled off the low side using shims... it's about 13/16" uphill. Heading to the left it drops off a bit, but it's much less (~3/8").

If you're asking the difference between the slabs right at the break, it's a very small amount, maybe 1/16".
Attached Thumbnails
LVP on uneven basement floor?-img_2383.jpg  
Old 02-20-2019, 07:33 PM   #5

Should be able to shim that small amount without a problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to Canarywood1 For This Useful Post:
pburgh19 (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 07:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarywood1 View Post
Should be able to shim that small amount without a problem.
To be clear... are you referring to the 13/16" or 3/8" measurement? Is the main concern the height difference right at the break?

If you're talking about 13/16", how does one shim that much height over such a large area?

Thanks for your input.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:01 PM   #7
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 748

WOW, that is really bad. That hill is going to look worse after you install the vinyl. Your eye will follow the grain and accent the high spots. Of course you'll feel walking up and downhill too. BUT, it's a residential basement and you will probably not complain.

The floor doesn't have to be level, but it should be flat within 3/16" in any 10' radius. If that's a 4' level you are off 13/16 in less that 3'. That is more than the slope of a shower floor.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 02:55 AM   #8

Agreed that it’s a decent-sized hump, but it is against a far wall that won’t see any foot traffic. The room is 13’ wide in the direction perpendicular to the level in the last photo. The room is about 35’ long in the direction parallel to the level.

Is this something that could be mechanically ground down? I’ve used a cup wheel on concrete before and it made more dust than I thought existed in the world. Obviously this would take a larger machine and someone with more know-how... but I’m concerned about dust in my now-clean-and-primed space.

I don’t want to use carpet as there will be a kitchenette at one end of the room and would prefer one floor type in the entire space.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pburgh19 View Post
To be clear... are you referring to the 13/16" or 3/8" measurement? Is the main concern the height difference right at the break?

If you're talking about 13/16", how does one shim that much height over such a large area?

Thanks for your input.

I was referring to the 16th of an inch you said was between slabs, 3/8" or 13/16" is way too much.

Last edited by Canarywood1; 02-21-2019 at 10:31 AM.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarywood1 View Post
I was referring to the 16th of an inch you said was between slabs, 3/8" is way too much.
Ok, thanks. Assuming I shimmed that break line, and also that I'm ok with an undulation in the flooring, you think LVP will work? Would it help to glue it in this area so that it doesn't "hover" over any low spots and contours to the floor?
Old 02-21-2019, 05:58 PM   #11

No idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
coretec , lvp