"loose" Pebble Bathroom Flooring - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-26-2016, 12:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 24

"loose" pebble bathroom flooring

Hiya folks!

I'm been thinking about remodeling my bathroom and alternatives to standard tile flooring. An important bit of information is that I've never done this before.

Has anyone heard of or experience with the following:

Instead of tile, putting down the subfloor and then a layer of underlayment. Then, putting loose, polished, 1/2" - 7/8" pebble stones into the underlayment about an inch thick so the stones stick into the underlayment. (I have many small stones in my garden and a rock tumbler to smooth them.) Then, after that has all set up (next day or so), I was thinking about putting a clear floor epoxy over the whole thing so it will look like a pebble floor but will be smooth and level.

In my mind, it looks pretty cool but I'm wary because of my lack of experience.

I'm fishing for any feedback, recommendations, warnings, etc.

Thanks!
spacepunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2016, 12:20 PM   #2
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 3,990

Re: "loose" pebble bathroom flooring

Depending on the "polish" desired on your stones, it takes weeks to polish rocks in a tumbler.

And depending on the size of each batch , you will need months to have enough to cover a small bathroom.

Otherwise it sounds doable.

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2016, 12:30 PM   #3

Thank you! That is encouraging. I'm mostly thinking along these lines for sentimental reasons - i.e., I think it would be cool to both de-stone my veggie garden and use those stones for the floor. I do have patience and the bathroom floor is about 40 sq. ft.

:D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2016, 03:58 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 17,912

And how do you plan on finding stones all the same size so you do not end up with a bunch of high and low spots?
That type floor would be a nightmare to try and clean.
Google "pebble stone floors".
Old 12-02-2016, 06:31 PM   #5

Hello! Ultimately, I decided against the self-leveling epoxy idea because I'm going with a curbless shower and a linear drain.

To do the 1/4" per foot slope in the subfloor I've seen the mortar preslope method and the preformed little wedges.

Is there a reason not to rip some 2x4s into wedges of the proper length and slope to attach directly to the joists for then mounting 3/4" plywood subfloor on top? Then cement board and tile on top of that.

Or, is the more popular method of sloping the mortar subfloor, then waterproof membrane, then more mortar, then tile the better approach?

I have 1 3/4" from the top of the joists to the level of the hallway door floor (I could come up another 1/2" to accommodate future hallway reflooring) and my concern is the thickness of the mortar, hence the top of the floor, will be significantly higher than the hallway floor.

Any thoughts or recommendations are appreciated. I've considered notching the joists in the shower area to enable lowing the drain.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:05 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,752

If you have a collection of tumbled stones that you value I would think about working them into the shower wall, perhaps all in an accent band. This way their levelness doesn't matter much and you can grout them in the normal way without the epoxy overlay.
ChuckF. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 07:52 PM   #7
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacepunch
Is there a reason not to rip some 2x4s into wedges of the proper length and slope to attach directly to the joists for then mounting 3/4" plywood subfloor on top? Then cement board and tile on top of that.
Yes there is. A shower built like that will likely leak before your second shower, you forgot the membrane.

The other method you mentioned is one of the ways to do it. With this method you need about 3" above the subfloor or so. So about 3 " above the joists. It is common to cut the joists for this method.

Since you need a thicker base in the shower area you can get away with just cutting the joists there, the rest of the floor can be just a single layer of mud over the subfloor. So this would be " subfloor with min. " of mud (prefer thicker), plus the tiles.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 11:00 AM   #8

Thanks for getting back to me, Jaz! Ah yes... the ol' waterproof membrane. I'm not perfectly clear on where the waterproof membrane is placed when used on the floor. I understand that on the walls, it is plastic membrane, cement board, thinset and tile.

How about this for presloping the floor: ripped 2 x 4 wedges every 6" perpendicular to joists (parallel to direction of drain), then 1/2" plywood, then waterproof membrane, then 1/4" cement board, then thinset and tile? That thickness is approximately the correct height to match with my hallway door.

Or, should I put the cement board on top of the plywood, then apply a product like RedGuard roll-on waterproof layer on top of the cement board, then thinset and tile?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
floor , pebble , stone , tile