Load On The Second Floor - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-04-2014, 10:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 186

Load on the second floor

I know nothing about this.

Can I place a 2200 pound object with a 4' x 8' footprint on the second floor? The footprint is flat, and weight is absolutely evenly distributed, so the load would be 0.47 pounds per square inch.

I don't know if the pressure is the main issue or if the total load of, you know, a friggin' ton is the concern.

Joists are secured into pockets in brick wall, not nailed into supporting wood frame. In fact, there is no wood frame supporting the second floor at all. The second floor is fully supported on brick, and load on one joist doesn't transfer to another. The roof is similarly supported by brick, not load-bearing wood walls.

The first floor is supported by 16 inch OC 2.5x7.75 (actual dimensions) original construction, sistered to 1.5x7. I assume that's an old 3x8 (?!) and a modern 2x8. The second floor is, most likely, the same as original construction (16 OC 2.5x7.75), but may have sistered joists.

In the worst case, I would expect 19.2 OC 2x6 joists. Having seen this wall open, I'm not certain. They look wider on the second floor.
Advertisement