Linoleum Glued To Subfloor, Plan To Put In Tile. - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-09-2014, 01:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Linoleum glued to subfloor, plan to put in tile.

I have 5/8 T&G Sturdifloor which had linoleum glued directly to it. I have pulled it up and have gotten off most of the backing material up using a floor scraper and putty knife. I plan to put an 1/2" AC exterior grade plywood screwed to the subfloor. Will small bits of the backing be a problem if left on the subfloor? I am going to be laying porcelain tile. Joists are 2x10, 16" OC, span 7.5 feet.
ericjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2014, 03:06 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 17,912

#1, Underlayment should never be screwed down to a subfloor.
Reason being it's going to leave hundreds of raised spots where the wood gets compressed.
Far easier, cheaper and faster to use a pneumatic narrow crown staple gun.
No glue under it.
Make sure the seams do not line up with the seams below and do not attach it to the joist.
Going to need to attach every 4" on the edges and 6 to 8" in the field.
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2014, 08:55 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 750

Eric,

Sounds like you're thinking of installing the tiles direct to the new underlayment. If so, please reconsider, that's not a very good way to install your floor.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2014, 10:17 AM   #4

JazMan,

I'm not going to tile directly to the underlayment. I am using Ditra. Thanks for your concern.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:32 AM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 558

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericjp View Post
I have 5/8 T&G Sturdifloor which had linoleum glued directly to it. I have pulled it up and have gotten off most of the backing material up using a floor scraper and putty knife. I plan to put an 1/2" AC exterior grade plywood screwed to the subfloor. Will small bits of the backing be a problem if left on the subfloor? I am going to be laying porcelain tile. Joists are 2x10, 16" OC, span 7.5 feet.
Based on what you have said and now the additional information about the use of DITRA...go for it. When you screw the underlayment to the subfloor do not use adhesive, swap the new seams/joints at least 1/3 from the existing seams/joints and try not to screw into the floor joists, screw only into the subfloor. Gap the sheets about 1/8" then before installing the DITRA caulk the seams in the underlayment to keep thinset out of the joints and to provide some expansion/contraction accommodation. After that, the DITRA will do the rest.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:43 PM   #6
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 750

Eric,

Sorry, I wasn't able to "read" your mind last night. Going with Ditra is a very good thing! Needed to clear that up since there'll be others reading your thread for years to come.

Shave the small bit's of backing with a wallpaper scraper. Keep it moist cuz if it's old it may contain asbestos.

Caulking the gaps in the ply is a good method, but you may also want to read what the thinset manufacturer says to do. Some want you to fill the gaps, some don't.

Sounds like you probably know which types of thinset to use for Ditra/plywood and for the tiles on Ditra.

Your joists span is very short and good to go as long as it's the span and not the size of the room.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 03:05 PM   #7

JazMan,

The joist span used to be 15 ft., but I have added footings and a 4x8 beam to cut the span in half. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement