Leveling Floor Prior To Hardwood Intallation - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-13-2015, 10:10 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Leveling Floor Prior to Hardwood Intallation

Good morning everyone,
I am in the process of attempting to level out my subfloors in preparation for hardwood installation as the title suggests. I live in Nashville, TN and have a single story brick ranch home built in 1978 with an unfinished basement beneath. The floors were originally 1/2 cdx with a 3/4" particle board over-layment. I have removed the particle board and exposed the 1/2 plywood subfloor. My dilemma is a ~1.5" variance in floor height across my kitchen and dining room, a span of roughly 25 ft. As it turns out, if I lay a string and set it level and at 2" on each wall with a center nail for extra support on the string, I have a hump roughly 16 feet from one wall. This rise is pretty steady across the room before it begins to decline in the final 9-10 feet back towards the opposing wall ( on this short side the drop is more pronounced in the final 2 feet. The joists are level/flat perpendicular to the room. I have checked several using the string method below the floor, they are a consistent 2" across the span if I set a string across the joist attached at each wall in the basement. There for I am lead to believe that there is no sag present in the joist, just a change in height from joist to joist. The house does not show any signs of settling, no cracks in the cinder block foundation, no cracks in the drywall and all the of doors appear to be even at the top of the door frames. I do not see any gaps beneath the interior wall bases at the subfloor either. I am trying to devise a plan to remedy the issue. I am not expecting a perfect floor and I would be perfectly fine with variation so long as it does not result in buckling floors (i.e. board ends sticking up). The floor also meets up with the hallway at the end of the 25 span. I had considered tapering the floor with shims but I don't want to have a low hallway as I am trying to extend the hardwood through the hallway. this would create a large transition between rooms. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Billy
whwood21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2015, 10:12 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 4

Also joist are 2x8 spaced 16" and the free span length is 12 ft.
whwood21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
hardwood , leveling , subfloor