Laying Tile Over Concrete/OSB Seam - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-28-2014, 03:45 PM   #1
Want to Learn

Rewards Points: 157

Laying tile over concrete/OSB seam

Hi all,

I recently added a bedroom in my basement. I did all the work myself and passed all my inspections. The only thing I didn't do was the carpet install. If you look at the picture, the carpet was laid all the way to the edge of the wall instead of stopping at the center of the door. I can only blame myself though because I asked him to do that even though he told me you typically only go to the center of the door. So now that I'm working on the adjoining bathroom, I see why it should stop at the middle of the door. I don't want to see the bedroom carpeting from the bathroom. I want to now remove some of the carpet so the tile can go all the way to the center of the door. If I remove 2 inches of carpeting, it will expose 2 inches of the OSB subfloor. Luckily, the Self Leveling Compound I just poured for the bathroom is the exact height of the OSB subfloor. So my question is, can I put tile across the seam and on to the OSB? If it's possible, do I need to do something to the OSB before I put thinset on it? My other solution would be to just put in some kind of threshold so it isn't so obvious I screwed up.

Also, along the same lines, in one spot, there's about a 1-inch gap between the SLC and OSB because the sill seal I used to block the SLC came out too far. Can I just fill that with the thinset I use to lay the tiles?

Thanks,
Jon

jonhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2014, 03:58 PM   #2
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 1,652

OSB on a concrete floor under carpet and ceramic tile? Why?
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2014, 04:03 PM   #3
Want to Learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
OSB on a concrete floor under carpet and ceramic tile? Why?
Sorry, maybe I'm confusing in the post.

The bedroom is a layer of Delta FL, a layer of OSB, and carpeting.

The bathroom is a layer of SLC (containing heated flooring wires) and a layer of tile.

Is there something wrong with that? My question is if I remove 2 inches of the carpeting, I'll have 2 inches of OSB exposed that needs to be covered. I would like the tile from the bathroom to cross over and sit on the 2 inches of OSB that's exposed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2014, 04:52 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 750

You should remove 4.5" of carpeting and Delta FL. Build up to threshold area as necessary and then install a 4.5" wide marble threshold in the jamb. That's the right way to do this when it's a bathroom doorway. Stoping under the door is for regular room-to-room transitions.

Do this, except use a 4.5" threshold; http://www.google.com/search?q=doorw...42%3B600%3B403

Not this; http://www.google.com/search?q=doorw...ml%3B550%3B413

Otherwise do this;

Jaz
Attached Thumbnails
Laying tile over concrete/OSB seam-100_1164.jpg  

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:01 PM   #5
Want to Learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
You should remove 4.5" of carpeting and Delta FL. Build up to threshold area as necessary and then install a 4.5" wide marble threshold in the jamb. That's the right way to do this when it's a bathroom doorway. Stoping under the door is for regular room-to-room transitions.
Gotcha. I'm just leary about trying to cut out the OSB. I was just going to do what the builder did in our master bath/master bedroom transition:

Is that wrong what they did? I know my last house had that kind of a transition too.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:43 PM   #6
Want to Learn

Oh, I should mention that the door between the bedroom and bathroom is a pocket door so if I did a 4" marble threshold, you'd see and inch stick out from the bedroom I think.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:14 PM   #7
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 750

Quote:
Oh, I should mention that the door between the bedroom and bathroom is a pocket door so if I did a 4" marble threshold, you'd see and inch stick out from the bedroom I think.
Yes of course, you're supposed to, the threshold goes in the jamb.

But, in some areas of the country they use skinny thresholds especially in southern states and in motels where steel door jambs are used. The end results is ending the floor coverings like it were a bedroom to hall situation.

Other places where real "mud" work is done, we use a threshold the width of the jamb. The marble has several purposes. To give you a straight edge to cut to and since the marble is placed about 1/4" proud of the tiles, it creates a small dam to help keep overflows from reaching the other room as fast. Another benefit is since the marble can be seen from the hall, it helps identify the bathroom when the door is closed.

Although I sell marble threshold to stores and distributors (full containers imported from italy), I actually recommend skipping the threshold for appearance sakes. As in my pic in post #4 above.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:58 PM   #8
Want to Learn

Ah, okay, I understand. I like the picture in your post. And those are similar tiles that I'll be using. I like the 12"x24" tiles. Thanks
Old 01-28-2014, 09:21 PM   #9
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 1,652

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonhayden View Post
Gotcha. I'm just leary about trying to cut out the OSB. I was just going to do what the builder did in our master bath/master bedroom transition:

Is that wrong what they did? I know my last house had that kind of a transition too.
The carpet will wear out along that edge. Tack strip should never be across a doorway.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement