Laying 3/4" T&G Over Existing 3/8" With Resiude - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-29-2018, 12:16 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 64

laying 3/4" T&G over existing 3/8" with resiude

I am just popping up the wood laminate and vinyl tiles beneath before laying 3/4" T&G plywood and 3/8" concrete board back so I can lay porcelain tiles in our kitchen and front entrance way.

One half of the kitchen area the vinyl tiles are leaving little no no residue after popping up. I was going to give the floor a light sanding before laying the 3/4" T&G. But on the other side of the kitchen the vinyl tiles are leaving behind a sticky, brittle dark brown, almost black residue that I now fear might possibly contain asbestos. The house was built in 1958 and I don't know how old the flooring is, but it looks old enough to possibly be original.

So now I think I will just lay the 3/4" T&G down right on top of the existing 3/8" square edge plywood mounted on top of 2x6 boards adhered to the rafters in the bsmt without any sanding.

For what it's worth, most of the dark sticky brittle residue I am planning to simply cover over is along the wall within 24" where the stove sits, and so will have base cabinets sitting over top of. I am not planning to tile under the base cabinets or island that is going in. I will just lay an additional 3/8" plywood on top of the 3/4" T&G where base cabinets will be placed to bring the base cabinets up to the height of the tile when it is installed.

Do you think not sanding whatever residue is on the existing plywood could cause any problems with laying porcelain tiles later on?
naphelge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2018, 05:16 AM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 4,222

Re: laying 3/4" T&G over existing 3/8" with resiude

Mods, please merge threads. https://www.diychatroom.com/f5/siste...nstall-637401/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement