Laying 12x24" Floor Tile Starting In A Doorway - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-30-2014, 03:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

laying 12x24" floor tile starting in a doorway

I know it's not the conventional way to lay tile by starting in a doorway but I am laying vinyl peel and stick, groutable flooring in my bathroom. When laying it out, it turns out the wall with the least amount of visible tile would only have about a 2 inch wide section if I started from the center of the room and worked out. So, I prefer to lay it starting in the doorway to allow a full piece of tile. However, how do I ensure my first row of tile will be straight when the walls aren't perfectly square?
tgindian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2014, 06:09 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 750

Well, who told you you're supposed to start in the exact center? You should almost never start in "the" center.

Being that you're installing vinyl peel & stick, ( ) you can start almost anywhere since you can kneel on the just laid tile. So, snap + lines that are square with each other and will "hit" the walls the way you want.

Be sure the line parallel with the doorway is actually parallel with it. You know the tiles are 12", so you can always snap another line as needed. Then snap the other line perpendicular to the first line making sure it's at a perfect 90 degrees. Use the pythagorean theorem (A squared + B squared = C squared) (3-4-5) method to confirm they're square to each other.

Now that I probably confused you, ask away.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2014, 06:13 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 558

Ponder your doorway and see if you can parallel the wall with the door and parallel the more visible wall and still have the lines intersect perpendicular.
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2014, 06:34 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 17,912

Warning your installing the lowest of the low grade flooring.
Please reconsider your choice of flooring.
Far more important to have a full tile in front of the tub then the wall or doorway.
Bud Cline (07-30-2014)
Old 07-30-2014, 06:41 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 17,912

Mark my words.
Extremely poor choice of flooring!
Old 07-30-2014, 09:37 PM   #6
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 750

Joe,

The following is no reflection on tgindian but your comment reminds me of when I used to manage a retail tile store in the late '60's to the mid '80's.

Often we have one heck of a time selling people 3 boxs (135 ft.) of vat (cheapo basement tile) for their kitchen. Back when I started in this racket we sold Armstrong Excelon for $6.40 and GAF - Congoleum -Amtico - Azrock for $5.25. I tried to get and extra buck for small orders like this, but you get the idea. So, cheapo tile for their kitchen including a gal of clear spread for under $30. Some people thought I was crazy to charge that much.

Yes, peel & stick tile is not what anyone of us would call a quality floor, but some people couldn't care less about their floors. Just the way it is and will always be.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
alignment , doorway , layout