Laminate / Tile: Changing Threshold Location - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-11-2019, 10:42 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 18

Laminate / Tile: changing threshold location

I've replaced the laminate flooring in my house, and now notice that some threshold locations between laminate and tile flooring seems to be wrong.

I uploaded images A, B, and C.

It looks like I'll have to cut back some tile and replace some laminate planks with longer sections. I will also have to put down some floor patch where the tile was to level it with the laminate side.

Threshold A looks fairly straightforward:

remove laminate side
cut and remove excess tile
patch floor
put down new, longer laminate planks

Threshold B has some problems:

- the adjoining laminate runs parallel to the threshold, and I have cut off the tongue/grooves along this edge of the laminate. There would be nothing to attach a new section of plank to.

- this edge is where I started putting down laminate, so it looks like I would have to take up the laminate from the entire room to remove these planks.

- I don't know how I would sqeeze in a section of laminate under the door jambs here.

Threshold C is in an opening without a door. Would I center the threshold in this situation?

There is one other factor for all these thresholds: The concrete floor in this house was not poured evenly, and it was not leveled well when the tile was put down. Rather than try to match the tile, I decided to truly level the floor under the laminate, with the intention of removing and fixing the tile at some point in the future. So there is considerable variation in height between laminate and tile, and the variation is not fixed for any given threshold (a single threshold will have slight variation on one end and large variation on the other). I'm guessing my only option here is to buy a best-match threshold piece and work it until it is shaped to conform to the height variations?

Are there any other potential problems I haven't thought of?

How about alternative solutions I haven't considered?

Thanks!
pelasgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
laminate , threshold , tile