Laminate Over Ceramic? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-03-2018, 05:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,249

Laminate over ceramic?

We're buying a condo as second home (our offer was accepted today!) and have a list of upgrades/improvements we plan to make before occupying. The condo has ceramic throughout the first floor (den/dining/kitchen/utility/bath). My wife wants to cover the ceramic in the den/dining area with laminate (about 300 sq ft). Assuming the tile is in good shape and uniformly level (which it is), is there any problem in doing this? I refuse to tear the tile up (personally, I like it) so this is a compromise
PPBART is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2018, 06:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 17,912

Re: Laminate over ceramic?

I see a whole lot of issues with her idea.
#1, Laminate lowers the value of the whole unit.
#2, All the grout lines would need to be filled with embossing filler to level it out.
#3, There's going to be a big height difference between the floors if your not willing to remove the tile floor forming a trip hazard.
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2018, 07:14 PM   #3
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,224

Sorta agree with Joe... especially in regard to you'll likely encounter some custom "transition" work with the raised floor....maybe not a big issue and a couple of sloped transitions.

If reasonably flat (in plane) and you are using a good laminate click-lock (maybe 1/2" and at least 3/8 +) I think you can float it with a good padding/membrane.

I'm not sure at all that a laminate devalues a home versus tile at all... maybe just the opposite, depending on your local and home and market, and ultimately the tastes of a future buyer.

Congrats on the retreat/vacation ? home .

Good luck
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2018, 10:25 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,249

OK, thanks for the replies. If I fill the grout lines to level the surface and later decide to remove the laminate, what would I have to do to remove the fill?

FWIW, I have several pieces of lam flooring (with padding attached) left over from previous projects, so I assembled and laid those in a room at our house that has similar tiles (12" square, 1/4" grout lines). In walking back and forth over that flooring, I honestly could not detect the grout lines.
PPBART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 02:33 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 6,985

Personally I'm not convinced you need to fill the grout lines if you go with the thicker underlayment. Most grout lines are 3/16" or less and don't pose any serious issues in my mind.

Read the data sheet for the brand you are buying and perhaps email the mfg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement