Laminate Flooring Spacer Issue - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-07-2013, 12:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Laminate flooring spacer issue

Hello I am installing laminate flooring in a room and having an issue with the spacers. Along the long wall there is a 1/2" to 1" gap that is causing my issue.

Laminate flooring spacer issue-wp_20131106_001-1-.jpg

If I place the spacer on any of its edges there is not enough drywall behind it to hold the spacer in place so it winds up just laying on top.

Laminate flooring spacer issue-wp_20131105_015-1-.jpg
If I try laying the spacer down flat on the floor I have way to big of a space, and to top it off the space under the drywall to its back support goes anywhere from 1/4" to 2" deep.

Laminate flooring spacer issue-wp_20131106_002-1-.jpg
I am currently placing the spacer on top of the laminate and basically wedging it up against the drywall. This is working to some degree to ensure the spacing but the drywall is also compressing so in places it is getting pushed further back in and making the flooring go at an angle to the drywall line.

Laminate flooring spacer issue-wp_20131106_010-1-.jpg
In the places where the drywall does meet the subfloor, I have no issues with the spacers, although as can be seen in the picture some of the drywall kinda bulges at the bottom from some water damage(issue was corrected from outside) in places which I have cut to allow the laminate to go underneath.

Is there a better way to get the spacing? Should I not worry so much since there will definitely be an expansion gap, although I am also worrying that too much will cause an issue.
avengerki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2013, 08:49 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 18,382

#1 All that sheetrock should have had a 1/2 gap from the subflooring to prevent moisture from wicking up the wall.
Those cheap plastic spacers are useless, I use strips of 3/8 plywood instead that get screwed to the studs so there easy to remove.
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2013, 09:16 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
#1 All that sheetrock should have had a 1/2 gap from the subflooring to prevent moisture from wicking up the wall.
Is that true for a second story floor? I just thought it was another of the shortcuts that my builder had taken as I had never seen it before. I have seen maybe an 1/8th to a 1/4th but not 1/2" to 1".

I probably should of put in that this is on the second floor with a plywood subfloor, but wasn't really thinking it would make a difference to the answer.

I knew the plastic spacers were pretty useless but it was what I have. I might have some wood strips I could use around but no where near enough to do the spacing for this. Well I have a few days before I get back to this as I work a night shift schedule so maybe I can pick some wood strips and screws up.

Is the spacing from the drywall or from the structure behind? I keep thinking it should be the whichever object the laminate would run into when expanding. As I stated earlier this means in some places the expanding underneath the drywall can be from 1/4" to 2" deep.
avengerki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2013, 10:14 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 18,382

Whatever the floorings going to run into and stop it from expanding.
Not sure where there could be a 2" gap.
It's normal to have that 1/2 gap for more reasons then just rising moisture.
Sheetrock on the walls is installed from the top down if it's done right.
Floors are never perfectly flat or level. It's so much easier to install the sheetrock with that extra room so each piece does not have to be custom fit.
Advertisement