Laminate Flooring Gap At End Of Install - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-28-2018, 11:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 44

laminate flooring gap at end of install

I intended to install floating laminate plank flooring on the first level of my house as one piece. I started in the kitchen, went around the right into the dining room, down into the living room, and over to the left into the entrance way. When I met back with where I started, everything lined up properly except there's a 1/8 gap between the boards length wise. Did I do something wrong or is this typically what happens when you install a solid piece of flooring in multiple rooms? The only thing I can think to do here is slap down some t molding and call it a day, even though I really didn't want any transition pieces here.

Picture of the floor plan is below.

Side question, my T molding doesn't reach the floor. Do people usually just use extra adhesive in this case to fill the gap?
Attached Thumbnails
laminate flooring gap at end of install-img_9193-1-.jpg  
Doelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2018, 06:53 PM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 1,830

Re: laminate flooring gap at end of install

You'll never be able to tie laminate to itself on a return course as you have described. Check the manufacturers data sheet. It may stipulate that you can only run so many feet without a transition. I would transition in doorways at any rate just so I could keep the runs in the next room square, since no wall has ever been built square. It allows also for the movement of the flooring, and you will have it with laminate. Transitioning at your two openings would have alleviated the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2018, 09:27 PM   #3
retired framer

Rewards Points: 8,558

Even if you are lucky enough to have things line up for the install different rooms will or can be exposed to different heat and moisture and you end up with gaps after the living in the house starts.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2018, 11:57 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler48 View Post
You'll never be able to tie laminate to itself on a return course as you have described. Check the manufacturers data sheet. It may stipulate that you can only run so many feet without a transition. I would transition in doorways at any rate just so I could keep the runs in the next room square, since no wall has ever been built square. It allows also for the movement of the flooring, and you will have it with laminate. Transitioning at your two openings would have alleviated the problem.
Everything is finished and the flooring is squared up well everywhere, I snapped some lines before starting and it looked good. If I have a problems with the boards in different rooms expanding/contracting differently and I get anything poping up, I'll cut in transitions, easy enough.

This gap is seriously small, so no one has any ideas how to finish this without t molding?
Attached Thumbnails
laminate flooring gap at end of install-img_0011-1-.jpg   laminate flooring gap at end of install-img_0012-1-.jpg  
Doelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 03:46 PM   #5
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 1,830

If it is click lock, you'll never be able to click the joint together since all the floor on both sides of the joint are flat. You appear to either be in a cased opening or doorway. Could you not go ahead and cut it and install a slip joint transition? You'll have to do it eventually.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement