Laminate Flooring - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Colbyt
  • 1 Post By kawahonda

Old 04-15-2019, 10:48 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 216

Laminate flooring

Installing some nice laminate flooring in a bedroom.

Obviously, there are times where the rules have to be broken on minimum lengths, etc. Example: crawl-space hatch, area around floor vent, and some various closet pieces.

I'm going to have some some small pieces near the attic hatch that are only connected left-right, and not front and back. I am going to install laminate over the closet hatch as well.

I thought about putting some liquid nails underneath the plank (bottom of plants have foam pad already instead) just to give it some more rigidity.

In some ways, I'm thinking glue is not needed. The pieces that I'm talking about in particular are 3" on pieces in the closet that is not connected front and back--only are going to be connected left to right to other planks.

The planks that sit on the 22" x 24" attic hatch will have to be glued, no other way.

But in particular, I'm wondering about the little one-off pieces that are only connected on the sides that are near the wall that surround
the crawl space opening. Obviously, a zero traffic area.

Liquid nails the bottoms of these small piece or leave it be.

Last edited by kawahonda; 04-15-2019 at 10:51 AM.
kawahonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2019, 01:15 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,771

Re: Laminate flooring

If I had to cheat, and I have, I would use a laminate floor wood glue in the grooves and wipe up any excess immediately with a damp cloth. The early floors did not snap lock. All joints and butts were glued.

Gluing to the pad is going to prevent the floating effect if it works at all.
de-nagorg likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2019, 04:10 PM   #3
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 2,888

Quote:
nice laminate flooring
Sorry. 3 words that don't go well together. Fill us in on the type of laminate you are installing. If it is a thicker, better quality floor, it may work. We can go from there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2019, 05:25 PM   #4

It's a 10mm waterproof (up to 72 hours) floor. It was $3.80 a square feet. Multi-colored. Definitely not your cheapy-stuff!

Essentially my only question is this:

1) I need to install short peices around the attic hatch. They're only going to be a few inches long at best. They'll only be connected side-by-side, and part of them will of coarse have a baseboard pushed down on it.

2) I need to cover the hatch in laminate to make it look seamless (and install a grab handle). For this, the ONLY option is to glue the flooring into the cover. Screws are tacky.

Maybe I'll send some pictures....that probably will help!
Old 04-15-2019, 05:32 PM   #5

Here's the progress so far. Pretty standard stuff. Looks pretty good! I had to use an odd piece near the floor vent (a few inches long), but since it's surrounding a floor vent and it's connected by three sides I am not concerned....low traffic..

I'll send the area that I'm concerned tonight.
Attached Thumbnails
Laminate flooring-img_2294.jpg   Laminate flooring-img_2295.jpg  
Old 04-15-2019, 08:53 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 6,668

Looks good to me! I'm a fan of laminate flooring. Is it the best flooring in the world? Well, no, but for a budget conscious dude like myself, I've used it with great success in my living room and bedroom. Most of my experience is with Pergo Max. Anytime I've had to use "cheat" small pieces, I've face nailed them with small finish nails and haven't had any issues.

BTW, @kawahonda , what is the name of the particular laminate you are installing?
Old 04-16-2019, 05:00 AM   #7
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 2,888

I don't think you will be experiencing any substantial shrinking or expanding of the laminate on the trap door. Try to make it seamless by gluing it to the door in line with the remaining floor. Do you object to trim on the flooring surrounding the door? That would be the best way to handle the edges of the laminate to allow for expansion and contraction. I would not fasten it securely as you would on the door itself.

At least you aren't using the 99 cent Traffic Master stuff. You can lay a piece of paper with the word "water" on it and it will swell up. Exaggerating, but it is a disaster.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:38 AM   #8

Here's a picture as I'm finally up against the trap door now. I'll put a full plank on it and jig out the piece that goes on the trap door....do the flooring and trap door simultaneously. I will relocate the handle closer to the wall.

So it sounds like gluing is the way to go for the trap door. As you see, I will have some small plank pieces towards the wall that surrounds it. I could face-nail this, or I glue to the floor. What would you do? I like the idea of face nailing because it may allow for expansion better. Zero traffic there, too.

Also, what sour of gap should I leave between the door and the surrounding edges? I'm thinking 1/8" minimum.

I don't object to trimming aroudn the trap door, but it may "look" cleaner without...unless I need to have much larger gap between than trap door and the surrounding floor than 1/8"
Attached Thumbnails
Laminate flooring-0.jpg  
Old 04-16-2019, 04:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Looks good to me! I'm a fan of laminate flooring. Is it the best flooring in the world? Well, no, but for a budget conscious dude like myself, I've used it with great success in my living room and bedroom. Most of my experience is with Pergo Max. Anytime I've had to use "cheat" small pieces, I've face nailed them with small finish nails and haven't had any issues.

BTW, @kawahonda , what is the name of the particular laminate you are installing?
Thanks! I'm installing Audacity branded flooring.
https://audacityflooring.com/#2

I've also installed some mid-range water resistant flooring from Lumber Liquidators before and it was great quality. This is better quality I would say, but both would be fantastic for bedrooms.

I left a plank submerged from Lumber Liquidators for 48 hours, removed it, wiped it off, and it was still brand new looking...no discoloration, no warping, etc. Hell, I would consider using it after that for an installation!

Didn't want to get into a laminate flooring vs xxx battle, but laminate is a superb flooring for bedrooms, living rooms, hallways, entries, etc. For water areas (kitchen, bathrooms, laundry rooms) I personally like the security of tile flooring, even though it appears that laminate technology has gotten pretty darn good!

I remember 15 years ago my stepmom dumping water on laminate flooring from my dad's old house and moping it. I was surprised how wet she let that floor get. Guess what happened the next day? haha.

Nowadays, water resistant laminate floors can easily be wet mopped as wet as you'd basically want. What I don't trust laminate, even the best, is a leaky dishwasher that has been leaking for months that you can't see. That's going to suck no matter what flooring you have because that water has to go somewhere.

Last edited by kawahonda; 04-16-2019 at 04:35 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to kawahonda For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (04-16-2019)
Old 04-25-2019, 02:16 PM   #10

Finished the flooring. Hatch works really good with a 3mm gap all around. I both nailed-glued (corners only) and glued the planks to the hatch and some of the surrounding planks. Ended up perfectly square on the far wall, which is always a nice feeling.

Still working on trimming, which I pretty much craft most of my myself.
Attached Thumbnails
Laminate flooring-2019-04-1eq8.jpeg   Laminate flooring-twer.jpeg   Laminate flooring-2019-04-18.jpg   Laminate flooring-tewr.jpeg   Laminate flooring-twerw.jpeg  

Colbyt likes this.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:48 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 6,932

I like how you continued the boards from the flooring onto the hatch, instead of just finding a few scrap boards for the hatch. Nice detail.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 07:56 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 6,771

Outstanding job with a difficult project.

Ditto on the board continuation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement