Laminate Floor, Temp Protective Covering For Construction - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Nealtw
  • 1 Post By joecaption

Old 10-25-2018, 12:36 PM   #1
TakeCareMyHouse

Rewards Points: 122

laminate floor, temp protective covering for construction

Hi all,

I have a new laminate floor that I don't want to get damaged, dirty, or scratched. I may need to have a heater installed. The heater is in the attic and the hallways are very narrow with the potential for large equipment to be carried (not dragged) over the laminate floor. Is there a protective covering I can put over the laminate floor if people go back and forth with tools and boots so that the floor doesn't get dirty or scratched. A flooring shop near me recommended a roll of "6 mil poly" and said Home Depot sells it, but when I went to the Home Depot near me, they didn't have "6 mil poly" and told me to order that online. The flooring shop person I talked to couldn't describe what "6 mil poly" was unambiguously. Then I looked online and wasn't sure what I was looking at between all the flooring products that came up. Can anyone tell me, brand name and/or any other unambiguous information that will help me locate the right temporary floor covering for laminate?
atticwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2018, 12:41 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 20,264

Re: laminate floor, temp protective covering for construction

joecaption, Dave Sal and Colbyt like this.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2018, 10:58 PM   #3
TakeCareMyHouse

Excellent! That looks good. I will give it a try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2018, 07:42 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 17,912

6 Ml plastic would be useless for this job!
I'd be amazed if that HD did not stock it, but in this case I'm glad you asked the wrong person where it was.
Two weeks ago I went to buy a generator and power cord at HD.
I went to the area I know they have been for years and the shelves where empty. (not surprising there was a hurricane coming)
I asked the person in that area if they had moved them to another area, she told me they no longer sell them.
I also asked her if they sold the 20 amp 4 wire cords and she tells me they have never sold them (not true) knowing that they do , I then asked if they sold 10-3 wire by the ft.
Once again I was told no, do you stock D5 white siding, once again nope.
The funny part was as I was asking her this question about the siding I was standing next to my cart with my hand on a 2 sq. box of it, kind of hard to miss seeing a 12'6" long box
I go to the electrical dept. and asked if they had any 10-3 SO wire by the ft. once again I was told no, they had sold out and the closest store that had it was an hour away.
I made him go with me to the wire by the ft. area and show me there was none.
There was 1/2 a spool on the rack.
Dave Sal likes this.
Old 10-27-2018, 02:35 PM   #5
TakeCareMyHouse

I'm glad I asked here. This is one of those reasons why this forum is so useful. Not only would I have wasted money on the wrong protective floor covering, I would have been horribly shocked and sad if my laminate got tore up from a construction job I thought I had prepared for. In my case, it appears I asked two people advice (floor shop and that particular HD person) who did not know what they were saying.

Well, its the responsibility of any store to make sure their employees know where their own products are. Usually if people say they don't have it, there's no point in convincing them they do have it. Not the case here, of course, as it turns out. Not only that, harder for me, I didn't really know what I was looking for. Even if HD did have it, I still would not have known to find it on my own because I wasn't sure what I was doing. You're advantage, joecaption is you knew what you were looking for. That's pretty good persistence, too.

Anyway, this was very helpful. Saved me a ton of time and steered me in the right direction on this.
Old 10-27-2018, 05:11 PM   #6
Home Repairer

Rewards Points: 468

Put down cardboard and tape all the pieces together. HD sells large moving boxes that you can cut open and lay flat. Then tell your construction crews that they are responsible if the floor gets scratched. That will make them extra careful not to drop anything. Take before pictures so you have documentation that the floor is spotless at the moment. Then let the guys do their thing, they are used to not making a mess of someones home.
czizzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 08:51 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,754

6m poly would be slippery-dangerous. Home Depot sells brown cardboard on a big roll, cardboard like is on the back of a yellow pad, in the paint department.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ram-Boar...8x50/202823781
ChuckF. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 10:38 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,366

Buy the ram board. It is about fifty bucks for a 50’ roll last I recall. But vacuum the floor before you put it down so as not to get something under it that would scratch your floor anyway. And all Home Depot’s near me sell six mil poly, clear and black, in the paint department.
ront02769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement