Intermittent Creaking, Popping On 2nd Floor - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-02-2015, 12:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 373

intermittent creaking, popping on 2nd floor

We replaced our carpet and padding three months ago. Prior to the install I put in 3" deck screws in many areas where the nails came loose and the subfloor plywood was loose. I have one area in the hallway that creaks/pops every so often. At first I was thinking it was the new carpet making the sound as its more of a popping sound. the 2x10 joists are running lenghtwise with the hallway. when my wife walks down the hall there is no noise, me at 220 it makes noise if I walk full stride and quickly.

I took photos of the subfloor and prior to new padding and carpet and the spot it's coming from is about 3 inches away from the wall. but it's in between two joists that are screwed down, so there does not appear to be anything I can fix from the top.

I was thinking I could remove a 2x2 ft section of drywall from the ceiling below which is a garage and stop the creaking from below. I am guessing there is a gap between the subfloor and joist and gluing shims in place will stop it?

Open to anyother suggestions.

thanks!
titan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement