Installing Used Laminate Over VERY Sloping Floor - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-02-2017, 02:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Installing used laminate over VERY sloping floor

I live in a 200 year old house with a very crooked kitchen floor. The surface is pretty smooth, but with settling there are actual slopes (no chairs with casters in this house). I have a source for second hand laminate for free but will need to purchase the underlayment. Before I go to the expense, does anyone have any experience with laying laminate over floors with some sloping? If I'm going have problems getting it to lay flat, I'd prefer to save the cost of the underlayment too.

Thanks so much!

Huntress
Huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2017, 04:48 PM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 636

Re: Installing used laminate over VERY sloping floor

I would not install new laminate anywhere even if you gave it to me. Why do you think someone has used laminate? They removed it to install something else.

rjniles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2017, 05:00 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

The current floor is a patchwork of old linoleum, vinyl tile, bare plywood, crumbling pressboard and several attempts at paper-bag flooring. The surface isn't smooth enough for vinyl and we have plans to put a new floor in in keeping with the historical home-style when our budget allows. In the meantime, I need a smooth, hard, sweepable/mop-able surface in my kitchen.

They removed it to install more laminate.

Thanks for your input.
Huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2017, 08:57 PM   #4
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 3,990

Might this be some of that Formaldehyde laminate , that was in the news a few years ago?

If so I would leave it be.

As long as your floor is fairly flat, I did not say level, it should lay flat also.

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to de-nagorg For This Useful Post:
Huntress (04-03-2017)
Old 04-02-2017, 10:24 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 392

Will you be taking up all the existing patchwork of flooring, or were you hoping to just temporarily cover it? You'll never get it even if any of the old stuff at varying thicknesses is left, but if you remove everything down to the old subfloor your new floor should lay pretty flat. However, used laminate doesn't really make a great choice unless it was fairly new to them and it was removed without damage.

Two recommendations for when you go to do your permanent floor later. 1. check around at places like Habitat for Humanity stores or any places that deal in reusable building materials. I've gotten some extremely good deals on new engineered hardwood flooring still in the box, solid hardwood flooring with few nail holes, and and trim that was large enough for me to plane down to suit my needs for pretty cheap. In most cases less than 1/4 of materials from a box store or lumber yard, and usually much easier than working with rough sawn.
2. Check into using a floor leveler. It is a very fine cement product that you mix up to a runny consistency and pour onto a floor that isn't level, and it runs to the areas it needs to. I did it recently in a 10x10 office that had an 1 1/2" drop from one side to the other. I only focused on the worst corner where my desks would be, glued and screwed a few boards down to take up space so I didn't need so much of the product, and poured it on and troweled back and forth a bit and walked away. I did feather the edges with a belt sander, but for the most part it just runs to the lowest spot and levels itself. You do want to make sure there is nowhere for it to run down though, such as holes around old heat register pipes, etc.
badtheba is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to badtheba For This Useful Post:
Huntress (04-03-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
kitchen floor , laminate floors