DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

installing transitions for hardwood

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  cmlcsu 
#1 ·
Need to install transitions on my new hardwood between the wood and tile. I left my expansion gap of 3/4" between the tile and wood, but now reading the instructions for transition installation, it says I should have left a gap of 1 1/4" between my tile and hardwood so there is space for the bottom piece of the T molding transition. How do I fix this problem? Should I try and cut 1/2" off the edge of my hardwood? This seems like it would be very difficult to do. Or can I trim off the bottom peg of the T molding strip and nail the strip down? Or would the molding be OK to just install in the 3/4" gap? I also have this problem along the door jams for the front door, and the first step of my stairs.

Thanks in advance for any help!

#3 ·
Im assuming your transition strip is similar to the attached document. If so the reason they recommend a 1.25" gap is so the hardwood can move with the changing humidity (same reason you leave gaps around the perimeter of the rooms) you have 2 options

1.) Rip off the 0.75" x 0.75" "tounge" and attach the strip to the hardwood only Wood glue or construction adhesive with finish nails works well.

2.) Increase your gap to the recommended 1.25" by cutting the hardwood floor (it doesn't have to be pretty because it will be covered by the transition strip) and attaching to either the subfloor with glue and nails or to the hardwood only.

The reason for attaching to only the subfloor or the hardwood only, not both, is to allow movement as stated above.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.