Installing Tile On Concrete Subfloor - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Nealtw
  • 1 Post By w0j0

Old 01-07-2019, 12:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 29

Installing tile on concrete subfloor

I just got done ripping out 600 sq feet of tile and then rented a 10" concrete grinder from home depot for removing the thin set as well. Now that the floor is clean of thin set in a week or so I was planning on installing the tile directly onto the concrete sub floor as that is how it was installed previously. The concrete doesn't have any big cracks in it maybe a few really small ones but the sub floor is about 20 years old currently.

I have read online that some people use an uncoupling membrane but I wasn't planning on doing that. I just wanted to get everyone's opinion on if they think that is needed or if I can just put the thin set directly on the sub floor and start installing the tiles.

Any help would be much appreciated.
bsmith95610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2019, 01:20 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 16,914

Re: Installing tile on concrete subfloor

That would be my plan.
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2019, 01:33 PM   #3
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,164

I'm with NEAL and you...... but I bet we catch he11 from a few tiling pro's....

basically an uncoupling membrane or (underlayment which is in a sense a minor uncoupling membrane) is a good insurance/guarantee when you are prone or likely or maybe to have floor movement.

But with 20 years history on your concrete SOG and prior excellent performamnce of a tile floor, I'd just lay it right on your concrete.

I've done it in many instances, before uncoupling became the technical trend, in my home of 30 + years with no issues..... and I've done it in plenty of other properties without incident (although I do explain the issues first.

JMO....
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2019, 03:35 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 29

Thanks for your replies I'll try putting the thin set directly on the concrete.
bsmith95610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:17 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,976

So when people want to till these things, one of the first things they do is to put down cement board......which is kind of like concrete. I am just tiling over what is there.
ront02769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:28 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 6

Just throwing this out there as an option you may not have considered--Ditra Heat TB. It is an uncoupling mat with a thermal break designed to be used with the ditra heat system to warm up cold tile floors and not lose all the heat to the giant sink that a concrete slab is. I don't know if you're into that sort of thing but I've been considering it for my basement as a way to help heat my house from from the bottom up.
Otherwise, I'm in the tile-over-concrete camp. As part of the prep, I'd use alkaline resistant mesh tape over any cracks in the slab with red gard, or the like, to bed it in.

Sent from my SM-J810Y using Tapatalk
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
w0j0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:48 PM   #7
retired framer

Rewards Points: 16,914

Quote:
Originally Posted by w0j0 View Post
Just throwing this out there as an option you may not have considered--Ditra Heat TB. It is an uncoupling mat with a thermal break designed to be used with the ditra heat system to warm up cold tile floors and not lose all the heat to the giant sink that a concrete slab is. I don't know if you're into that sort of thing but I've been considering it for my basement as a way to help heat my house from from the bottom up.
Otherwise, I'm in the tile-over-concrete camp. As part of the prep, I'd use alkaline resistant mesh tape over any cracks in the slab with red gard, or the like, to bed it in.

Sent from my SM-J810Y using Tapatalk
That big heat sink is just that and more if the fill below the floor is dry. It take a lot of heating to get it warm but it stays warm between cycles and provides heat during a power loss.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 04:55 PM   #8
Tile store owner

Rewards Points: 4

I would use at least a crack isolation membrane of some sort. If the house is older, most of the settling should have occurred already. Better safe than sorry......
mikebelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
concrete subfloor , tile , uncoupling membrane