Installing 5/8 X 5 Bamboo Flooring, Underlayment Needed? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-24-2015, 01:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 24

Installing 5/8 x 5 bamboo flooring, underlayment needed?

I bought enough bamboo flooring to do my hall and the drop down part of my living room. According to the guys at Menards this one is fine to put down on any surface, but I would need to glue, staple, or nail it down. I have already looked under the carpet in the hopes that it would have hardwood underneath, but it has that presswood stuff underneath. I am wondering if I would need an underlayment for that. Thanks.

Here's the area that most of it is going in:

VoiceOfReason is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2015, 02:40 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 780

None of us here will know what 'that presswood stuff' is. Could be particle board or hopefully OSB. Please try to figure it out.

Any idea when it may have been installed? Does it look like tiny wood chips or small to medium wood flakes? search images of both if not sure.

It would also be nice if we knew the exact flooring you've bought.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2015, 02:47 PM   #3

Ohh, particle board. I used a different term that plenty in the area I live have used. I don't know when it was installed, but it looks perfect. Here's what I have to install:

https://www.menards.com/main/floorin.../p-2706794.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2015, 03:24 PM   #4
Tileguy

Particle board may be a problem, it's not considered an acceptable substrate for any type of flooring that I know of with the possible exception of loose laid floors and carpeting.

I figured that was the bamboo you meant. For complete specs and instructions you may also wanna read from the NWFA specs. Have you read them yet?

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
Old 08-24-2015, 03:49 PM   #5

I have not read the NFWA specs yet. I read the installation instructions that came with it is all. I almost wonder if I should return it and go for the lock in stuff and do a floating floor.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:20 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 5,348

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoiceOfReason View Post
Ohh, particle board. I used a different term that plenty in the area I live have used. I don't know when it was installed, but it looks perfect. Here's what I have to install:

https://www.menards.com/main/floorin.../p-2706794.htm
Particle board is not a proper underlayment for anything except laminates and that's questionable. In 30+ years in the remodeling business I have never seem particle board as a flooring substrate.
Post a photo if you please, so we can see this.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:33 PM   #7
Tileguy

I'd like to see pics too.

PB was popular as a subfloor in the late '70's and most of the '80's, and not just in smaller/cheaper homes. The lumber guys pushed it cuz it saved the builder several $$ per sheet and was dense. It took a few years to learn the lesson.

Brought to us by some of the same people that gave us waterproof drywall!

Jaz

Old 08-24-2015, 05:43 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 5,348

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
I'd like to see pics too.

PB was popular as a subfloor in the late '70's and most of the '80's, and not just in smaller/cheaper homes. The lumber guys pushed it cuz it saved the builder several $$ per sheet and was dense. It took a few years to learn the lesson.

Brought to us by some of the same people that gave us waterproof drywall!

Jaz
May have been a regional thing. I worked in a few developments but never came across it on Long Island. Houses in NYC were build in the 1930's-1960's. Mostly 1x6's or plywood.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:02 PM   #9

Here's the best shot. I am not pulling the carpet until I am ready to lay the floor.

The house was built in 1975.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:04 PM   #10

Okay, I returned it and got the locking kind that can be used as a floating floor and the foam underlayment that come in rectangles and covers a total of 100 square feet. The flooring will be in in a week since it was special order.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement