Install Standard OSB Over Tongue And Groove? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NotYerUncleBob2

Old 10-13-2018, 09:47 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 44

Install standard OSB over tongue and groove?

I have two bathrooms in the upstairs that I am replacing the flooring in. The original tongue and groove Plank Floors are in place and I can't really take them out because they are connected to subfloor underneath the hardwood flooring in the adjacent rooms. It would also be very complicated to cut especially under the wall framing. The bathrooms are relatively small so I was thinking of using half inch OSB. Not the tongue-and-groove since that only comes in 3/4 and I'm trying to reduce the transition height from the hardwood flooring in the adjacent rooms to the new flooring in the bathrooms. I was going to put half inch OSB and then a quarter inch hardibacker followed by the tile. I know that they generally say that you should always use tongue and groove. The bathrooms are small enough that the butt joints for the OSB would end up underneath the tub and toilet area in the one bathroom and right at the seam of the tiled shower and toilet area in the other. I was then going to overlap quarter inch hardibacker on top of that to cover the seams and tile to the Hardy. Is there any reason I should be concerned about the floor popping up in those areas as long as I screw them down correctly? I want to use the half inch since it won't raise the floor as high as if I used 3/4 but I don't want to do that at the risk of having issues. Thanks for any advice!
RetroJoe_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2018, 09:55 AM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 13,968

Re: Install standard OSB over tongue and groove?

1/2" OSB is not the same as the flooring that looks like OSB, use a plywood for the floor.
Nealtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2018, 09:55 AM   #3
retired painter

Rewards Points: 512

Shouldn't be any issues installing regular plywood/osb over the existing subfloor. If I'm not mistaken not all OSB is a suitable substrate for thinset and cement board.
mark sr is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2018, 10:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
1/2" OSB is not the same as the flooring that looks like OSB, use a plywood for the floor.
so if I use a standard half inch plywood even though it's not tongue and groove you think that would be okay?
Old 10-13-2018, 10:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark sr View Post
Shouldn't be any issues installing regular plywood/osb over the existing subfloor. If I'm not mistaken not all OSB is a suitable substrate for thinset and cement board.
Interesting. I wonder what the difference is? They feel the same but I know that doesn't really mean anything
Old 10-13-2018, 10:18 AM   #6
retired framer

Rewards Points: 13,968

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroJoe_1 View Post
so if I use a standard half inch plywood even though it's not tongue and groove you think that would be okay?
Yes, make sure the seams do not land in the same place as below.
Advantech subfloor looks like OSB but much more dense and does not swell when it is gets wet.
Nealtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 10:19 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 6,635

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroJoe_1 View Post

Absolutely. It was done that way for many years. Just make sure the hardie joints and the plywood joints don't line up.
Old 10-13-2018, 05:58 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 924

I always chuckle when I hear people talk about how bad OSB is. I guess maybe compared to marine grade plywood. I just pulled up some 1/2" cdx that was used to protect a patio during an excavation project, and in the rain it was delaminated, warped, pretty much garbage. That's after about two weeks. At least OSB would have held together, if maybe swollen a bit. Same job, I pulled up a bathroom floor that was 3/4 shiplap with a layer of 1/2 OSB, then Ditra then tile. Done 10 years ago. No detectable problems.
Marson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 07:46 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marson View Post
I always chuckle when I hear people talk about how bad OSB is...
Some of it is, and some of it isn't. I have some OSB in a garden shed that's been getting wet on and off for 15 years and it's fine. I also pull out a lot of rotted OSB that's just gotten damp a couple times.
Nealtw likes this.
NotYerUncleBob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 05:37 AM   #10
retired painter

Rewards Points: 512

I've used OSB for siding on cheap sheds. I've seen some stay like new while others [even though painted] would constantly have chips of wood peel off. I guess a lot depends on how [or what day] it was manufactured .... maybe they sometimes skimp on the glue/resin.
mark sr is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement