How Would You Seal Exterior Staircase Made Of Plywood? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-20-2015, 08:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 42

How would you seal exterior staircase made of plywood?

Hello,

My 13 year old staircase is covered with exterior carpet. The steps and risers are plywood, I believe not pressure-treated.

Over the years, the bottom steps have been exposed to dripping water, and ground-level moisture, due to the occasional rain we get in San Diego county. They are rotted and I'm replacing the plywood.

I'm looking into ways to keep that rainwater away from the stairs, but I don't yet know whether I'll succeed.

The carpet probably is trapping moisture between itself and the wood, which would contribute to the problem. Are there non-ugly alternatives to carpet? The wood is not attractive enough to be left bare, in my opinion.

Actually, I'd rather not go through the trouble of replacing the carpet. Can I just use a really good sealant on top of the wood, so the carpet's moisture won't matter?

As an alternative to a deck sealant treatment, should I consider something like SikaFlex Self-Leveling Sealant? Or even ordinary caulk, spread over all the wood?

From experience, I suspect that ordinary house paint wouldn't seal well enough.

Thanks in advance for your ideas!
patchtaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2015, 04:49 AM   #2
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 1,668

Paint would be better than the carpet. Carpet holds the moisture, a painted surface dries faster.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2015, 09:48 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 17,914

Post a picture.
No form of plywood is going to work for outside stairs, not even marine plywood.
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2015, 11:19 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,042

I don't think a sealant is what your looking for, a better alternative would be a water repellent, google "Prosoco" to see if it's available in your area.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 02:25 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 42

Here are photos

As you can see, the "side walls" supporting the steps are plywood too, and on the left side there is siding panel material concealing the plywood.

That metal trim along each side of the steps covers the ugly edges of wood. And the metal is sized with the thickness of the carpet accounted for. If I get rid of the carpet, I must do something about the edges previously covered by that metal.

I fear that paint, if I found any tough enough to be walked on, would be slippery. Maybe some slip-resisting treads could be placed on top of the paint.
patchtaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 02:30 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 6,850

You can add Shark Grip to your paint to provide traction.
Attached Images

Last edited by Gymschu; 11-21-2015 at 02:34 PM.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 11:37 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 4,434

Maybe....

http://www.completemobilehomesupply....Steps_s/50.htm

ron45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement