How To Lay Click Flooring (laminate, Vinyl, Etc) Under Angled Stairway Trim? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-02-2020, 06:58 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 64
Question

How to lay click flooring (laminate, vinyl, etc) under angled stairway trim?

As the title says... I'm installing LVP in my basement, and I'm not quite sure the proper way to do this. Because of the angle I can't lift the plank up to get it to click in place.

My guess is that for something like this I should shave off the lip on the groove, cut a piece of vinyl that will just slide in from the side and glue it? Possibly address the small sliver along the stairway "trim" separately? This close to the stairway there will be zero foot traffic or anything else.

I'm sure there's an industry standard way to do this... what's the proper way?
Attached Thumbnails
How to lay click flooring (laminate, vinyl, etc) under angled stairway trim?-img_20200602_074515.jpg  
MOA_Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2020, 10:03 AM   #2
Hammered Thumb

Rewards Points: 2,156

Re: How to lay click flooring (laminate, vinyl, etc) under angled stairway trim?

If the stringer is structural, then the LVP should butt up to it with the proper gap, so you can still set the tongue at an angle and drop down. If it's a face cover only, you should undercut it and slide the LVP from the front of the stair under it (with the proper gap along the beadboard). Assume you have the proper laminate tools, like a pull bar or tapping block, in order to slide the LVP along when it is T&G locked.

Your bottom riser looks awful short compared to riser#2 unless it's the perspective.
3onthetree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 3onthetree For This Useful Post:
MOA_Chaser (06-02-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2020, 11:06 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 64

Re: How to lay click flooring (laminate, vinyl, etc) under angled stairway trim?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3onthetree View Post
If the stringer is structural, then the LVP should butt up to it with the proper gap, so you can still set the tongue at an angle and drop down. If it's a face cover only, you should undercut it and slide the LVP from the front of the stair under it (with the proper gap along the beadboard). Assume you have the proper laminate tools, like a pull bar or tapping block, in order to slide the LVP along when it is T&G locked.

Your bottom riser looks awful short compared to riser#2 unless it's the perspective.
Wow, awesome, I don't know why I didn't think of that. I guess I just assumed it was structural. I went down and checked, and was able to slide a utility blade all the way down the length of the stringer so it can't be structural. That'll be nice and clean, thanks!
MOA_Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
click vinyl flooring , staircase