How To Flatten Subfloor? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-30-2011, 04:59 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

I'm renovating my home and removed 2 walls that separated 3 rooms. I plan on laying laminated hardwood across all three rooms. The problem i have now is where the walls used to be, the flooring is raised up to those areas where the walls used to be. Close to 1/2" in height difference from the lowest part of the middle room. 2 rooms are on floors over crawl space, the last room on one end is on a concrete slab.

What is the best solution to make the floors "flat" between all 3 rooms to make sure my laminate finish looks good and even across all three rooms.

Last edited by the-ls; 12-30-2011 at 12:01 PM.
the-ls is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2011, 08:02 AM   #2
Disabled wood vet

Rewards Points: 1,004

You need to go into your crawl space and see what's causing the up and downs. Is it only in the transitions from slab to crawl space etc.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy S2
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2011, 11:09 AM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 558

Quote:
The problem i have now is where the walls used to, the flooring is raised up to those areas where the walls used to be.
And why is that?

Are you saying the structural members underneath are screwy or what are you saying? This doesn't make much sense.
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2011, 11:56 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

The rise is most pronounced between the existing subfloor (over the crawl space) and the slab addition (added in the 70's). I'm starting to think they poured the slab slightly too high and may have added material over the crawl space subfloor to make the transition match in height.

I'll reinvestigate the other room transition ( both over the same crawl space) today, it is likely caused by 1 flooring finish being hardwood and the next room is linolium. I don't want to remove any flooring but just go over with liminate floating flooring. What would be the best way to do this without creating too much labor with tearing up all the flooring? I've read elsewhere people adding shingles and roofing paper to build up voids?
the-ls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 03:35 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 558

If I am of clear-mind on this the thing to do would be to raise the entire offending floor level to meet that of the concrete. This can be done by installing the proper underlayment (plywood) or by pouring a Self Leveling Compound.

I'm afraid adding shingles or whatever helter-skelter would create enough voids hither and yon to cause movement. That substrate is required to be flat/plane as possible so that the cheap click joints can't be tortured and eventually move enough to cause damage.
Advertisement