How Do I Get Rid Of Smudges On Porcelain Tiles? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-22-2014, 06:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 323

How do I get rid of smudges on porcelain tiles?

I laid down porcelain tiles for my kitchen about 2 wks ago from and from the get go i noticed smudges. I tried porcelain cleaner that helps some but a few hours later the smudges come back. Probably foot print smudges. Please advise thanks.
johnv713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2014, 08:51 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,002

Pls. inform as to what the feet were in before they tracked on the tile.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2014, 10:27 PM   #3

Earthlings...dogs..cats....but mostly Earthlings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2014, 05:23 AM   #4
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

Is the tile the problem or is there grout haze that is causing the smudges?

Have you tried vinegar?
Old 07-23-2014, 01:25 PM   #5

No i havent tried vinegar. I tried cleaner which did a great job until you walk on them again. I think it's the tile not the grout haze.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:53 PM   #6

I just used some vinegar, it turned out great except I got water stain now
Old 07-23-2014, 04:22 PM   #7
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 558

The tiles have open microscopic pores as a result of the firing process and likely a lower quality Porcelain. Clean them, then seal them several times.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:42 PM   #8

Oooh that's great to know. Some folks tell me to seal others said that's a NO NO.

Confused
Old 07-23-2014, 07:44 PM   #9
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

Bud is an old pro---try his suggestion---do a sample section---
Old 07-23-2014, 08:27 PM   #10
Tileguy

John,

What (EXACTLY) is the name of the tile, what are they calling it? Word for word letter by letter.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:29 AM   #11

MS International Paradiso cream from HD. I did my whole kitchen, doorway entrance and 1.5 bath.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:30 AM   #12

Oh and theyre made in ...you've guessed it. CHINA!
Old 07-24-2014, 07:59 AM   #13
Tileguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnv713 View Post
MS International Paradiso cream from HD. I did my whole kitchen, doorway entrance and 1.5 bath.
So where does it say Porcelain?

I think you may have fallen into a low-grade tile. It happens all of the time in the tile business.

If you will clean the tile and then seal it with a high quality "stone sealer" that may help. The trouble is...Once you begin sealing tiles, you have begun an ongoing maintenance issue you may have to continue from now on.

Ah-h-h-h-h, the Big Box Stores. Aren't they just the greatest thing?
Old 07-24-2014, 10:06 AM   #14

Darn it I was told they're porcelain. i got no choice tHere isn't much around here beside HD. Thanks!
Old 07-24-2014, 10:58 AM   #15
Tileguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnv713 View Post
Darn it I was told they're porcelain. i got no choice tHere isn't much around here beside HD. Thanks!
Porcelains have variations. There are variables used in the manufacturing process that can lower the cost of manufacturing so quess what. There is always someone around willing to take advantage of such things.

In the U.S. most all labeling of floor products as far as content, and warranty of merchantability for intended use, is voluntary, so it doesn't have to be totally honest all of the time. Leave it up to China and Home Depot to teach you the ropes.

I'll let everyone in on a little secret when it comes to purchasing Porcelain-ceramic tile. Porcelain is ceramic by-the-way.

To get around the labeling issues of selling a lessor-product, Porcelain tile makers and sellers play around with the names a little. For example you'll see tile sold under the name Porcelanato or Porcelanado. Sounds Italian doesn't it. You may also see Porcelaino and Porcelain Tina, also sounds exotic. The requirement is...If it is a "true Porcelain Tile" it must be labeled as such. When a manufacturer uses a variation of the word "Porcelain" then they have screwed with either the recipe or the manufacturing process so as to cheapen/lower their manufacturing costs.

So Buyer Beware.

This doesn't necessarily mean there is anything wrong with the lessor product other than the fact that it is "a lessor product" in some form. It all has to do with profit margins.

Generally when someone is experiencing what John is reporting, this more than likely means that the recipe has been abbreviated in some manner and the firing time in the kiln has also been abbreviated to reduce costs. This in turn generally creates microscopic pores in the surface of the tiles. When this is the case the tiles can be easily stained from the grout installation and can easily retain smudges and foot prints.

Therefore, the easiest way to deal with the problem is to seal those pores with something. Regular grout-sealers are vapor transmissive and therefore may not solve the issue in total. That's why I suggest using a stone sealer or enhancer that is topical in nature and after a few applications will close the pores and make the tiles less susceptible to holding dirt and make them easier to clean.

The downside is the topical products will likely change the appearance of the tile slightly and will create a future need to do it again when the topical sealer wears away. It is also likely that the sealer will cause a gloss that may not be desirable.

Topical applications will also have an effect on the original "Coefficient-of Friction" (COF) value of the tile. I'm not going to get into that.
Advertisement