HELP! Uneven Pour Of Self-leveling -how To Correct - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2015, 08:33 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 14
Angry

HELP! Uneven pour of self-leveling -how to correct

I am VERY disappointed in myself. I plan to install 12x24 porcelain tile in my kitchen. I have a concrete subfloor from which I had removed vinyl tile. I scraped a Massive amount of the mastic from the subfloor; used a self-leveling primer; and poured six bags of self-leveling cement (1bag at a time). Now, I regret not having used wood pieces to divide the floor in sections. You can definitely tell where I have added each mix. Please, tell me how to fix this problem. I have to do this on my own..no one can help, not near enough money to pay to have job done. So ready to cry...
vs and is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2015, 10:23 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 996

calm down.

just how "flat" is what you have now ?
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2015, 10:34 AM   #3
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

How big of a mess do you have?

Usually it is done as a 'continous pour' several buckets with water all measured out---then mix and pour---mix and pour--raking the product a bit to push it around.

If you have humps--those can be knocked down--an angle grinder with a diamond cup makes the task quick--

Let us know what you are facing--
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2015, 11:04 AM   #4

i did self leveling once. on a concrete slab floor. idk if i did it correctly, as the stuff was kinda soft. but still plenty stiff enough to put engineered flooring over it. the humps and stuff that were in the self leveling, i was able to just scrape them flat.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fix'n it For This Useful Post:
vs and (01-03-2015)
Old 01-03-2015, 07:51 PM   #5

I measured the difference between the sections and they differ by 1/8 of an inch. I have had my Starbucks and calmed down thinking I can use Tile Leveling Clips to make sure all tiles are at the greatest height along with smearing the thin set on the bottom side of each tile along with the floor.

Thoughts, please. I am dry fitting tiles this evening to determine the tiles that need cutting and cut in advance.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:57 PM   #6
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

Filling low spots is fine---humps are a problem--those need removing--

Leveling clips with those large tiles is a great help----1/2 x1/2 trowel is also a good move--
Old 01-03-2015, 08:40 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 144

I would knock the high spots off and fill the low spots with more thinset. 1/8" out is not the best to work with but not a big deal when using that size tile and a 1/2" notch.
Make sure to back butter the tile and you'll be fine.
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mako1 For This Useful Post:
vs and (01-03-2015)
Old 01-03-2015, 09:29 PM   #8

Thank you. Will purchase an angle grinder and diamond cup tomorrow.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vs and View Post

Thoughts, please. I am dry fitting tiles this evening to determine the tiles that need cutting and cut in advance.
DO NOT do this ! unless you like waisting time and tiles. jmo
Old 01-04-2015, 01:15 PM   #10

Yeah! I never got around to that as just laying out the tile began to wear me down. Plus, I don't have an angle grinder and weather prohibits me from going to get one. I am VERY discouraged. My refrigerator is in my living room and my dishwasher is in my dining area waiting for me to complete this and I have not begun smearing any thinset. It sucks to be a girl some days.

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:24 PM   #11
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by vs and
I am dry fitting tiles this evening to determine the tiles that need cutting and cut in advance.
You're wasting time and making the install harder than necessary. Take measurements and draw lines, don't dry-lay tiles and pre-cut the tiles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vs and
I measured the difference between the sections and they differ by 1/8 of an inch.
Sorry but I have little confidence that what you did means anything. You say the sections differ ⅛". ⅛" from what? How was it measure, using what type of straight edge or guide? Was it ⅛" diff in 2ft., 6 ft., 10 ft.? Do you have a straight edge that is 8-10 ft. long and/or can you get someone to help hold the other end of a string and analyze its flatness?

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 02:53 PM   #12

I'm sorry. So new to this. Using a 2ft leveler, there is a gap space between the sections of slc poured that measures approximately 1/8" from floor to bottom of leveler. Wish I knew how to post a photo.
Old 01-04-2015, 03:11 PM   #13

Forgot to mention...the gap is only along approximately 4" of the 2ft measured.
Old 01-04-2015, 03:25 PM   #14
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 780

Just as I thought. A 2 foot level isn't telling you much. The floor needs to be within ⅛" of plane in 10 ft. and 1/16" in 2 ft. You need to use other methods to measure. A super straight 1x4" hardwood that is 8-10 ft. long is a good tool. You have to place it in every direction all over the floor and note what you're 'reading'. It's not an easy thing to do.

If the entire floor was flat except for a small valley as you described, it would be fine cuz the thinset will fill the small valley.

To upload photos; switch "go advanced" then "manage attachments", then "choose file". Find the file in your computer, select, then upload.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
vs and (01-04-2015)
Old 01-04-2015, 09:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by vs and View Post
Yeah! I never got around to that as just laying out the tile began to wear me down. Plus, I don't have an angle grinder and weather prohibits me from going to get one. I am VERY discouraged. My refrigerator is in my living room and my dishwasher is in my dining area waiting for me to complete this and I have not begun smearing any thinset.

It sucks to be a girl some days.
do you have a real "wet" tile cutter ? $100 will get you one that will do what you need, and do it well.

your problems are not gender specific, trust me on this.

right now, my bedroom furniture is in the living room, actually, my home theater room. we are watching movies looking over the bed .
thank god i have a 119" screen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement