Help With Outdoor Ceramic Tiling On A Sundeck - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-25-2014, 04:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Help with outdoor ceramic tiling on a sundeck

Hi,
I purchased a 3 year old house last May that came with an existing relatively large sundeck that has a ceramic tile decking (with grout). At the time, my home inspector stated that the grout should be replaced as it showed signs of cracking. He also stated that tile was a poor choice for a sundeck decking material (in his opinion). I removed all the grout and regrouted with a grout material recommended by a local tile supplier. Less than 8 months later, the grout is breaking out in several spots and looks worse than before I replaced it. A floor coating/vinyl decking company has now suggested removing the grout and replacing it with a polyurethane caulking, alowing more flexiblity than the grout.
What should I do? Try the poly caulking, or just rip out all the tiles and try another decking material all together (such as vinyl or fiberglass, etc.). Recommendations???
Background: I live in Nanaimo, B.C. Canada. We get a lot of rain. In the winter we get nighttime low temperatures near freezing (usually just above) and rarely get much snow. Occasionally, we get a few days in a row of sub freezing temperatures, but not many. We are very close to Seattle, Wash.
Sorry for the long post, but thought all of the info would help with your being able to advise.
Thanks,
Tom
Firehoser75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2014, 08:07 PM   #2
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 12

What is underneath the tile and grout?
It is possible to install porcelain tile outside, but prone to problems as it is seldom done correctly.
The fact that the grout has cracked, been replaced, and cracked again is indicative that the underlying surface is not adequate in some way (most likely too much movement or expansion).
Replacing the grout with something more flexible may be the easiest and/or cheapest option, although probably not the best.
Again, knowing what is underneath the tile (wood? concrete? what?)will get you the best suggestions.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blondesense For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (03-25-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2014, 08:25 PM   #3
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

We need to know what the sun deck is made of----
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2014, 08:38 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

The sundeck is approx. 9 feet off the lower patio and is constructed of 2x10 joists covered with 3/4 to 1 inch plywood (I think, maybe particle board), and the underside is covered over with aluminum soffitting, so it is hard to see what is actually under it. The deck is approx. 7 feet by 22 feet. The house is sided with hardiplank.
Hope this helps,
Tom
Firehoser75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:46 PM   #5
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

Ceramic tile over a wood frame--on an exterior---need to be strongly built and completely waterproofed and flashed against the house.

If water gets to the plywood decking and framing--they will expand and move---

I think,if you wish to tile that deck again--you either hire a pro that specializes in exterior porch and deck work--or come here again and we will do our best to help---

Latacrete is a manufacturer of tile setting products---look at their site--call the tech line----they are very helpful----
Advertisement