Help With Floor Transition From Wood To Tile Floor - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-05-2016, 05:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

help with floor transition from wood to tile floor

My living room has the original hardwood floors from when the house was built in the 1950s. We had a new tile flooring laid and it was set on top of 1/2" mold resistant board creating a total of approximately 3/4 inch of an elevation from the living room transitioning into the tile kitchen.
What would be my best option for that transition piece?
I want the floor to look how it should of course, and I don't want it to be a toe stubber
Thanks
greatlakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2016, 05:33 PM   #2

pictures

pics of the floor.
Attached Thumbnails
help with floor transition from wood to tile floor-floor.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2016, 08:20 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 780

We need a pic of how it ends at the side walls. No way to know how wide the transition can be.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2016, 08:31 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,550

I had to machine some wood transition pieces a few years ago for an old 1800's home that I did a ton of work in. Tile wasn't involved. The wooden floors going from some rooms to another were off by an inch or more. I made thresholds out of Doug fir to go with the wood flooring that was there. They were about 6-7" wide if I remember right, in order to allow for the height transition with a nice gradual bevel. The width of the openings were around six feet. The bevel took up about half the width. The width corresponded to the wall thickness with trim between the rooms. Get some pics for Jazman.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 08:42 PM   #5

update

addition photos that you requested. Thanks a lot for the quick reply! I will be able to reply back quickly as well.

Kinda wish It was the 1/4 cement board instead of the 1/2 but the 1/2 inch was chosen based on being stronger/less flexing opportunity and its about the same price as the 1/4"
Attached Thumbnails
help with floor transition from wood to tile floor-floor1.jpg   help with floor transition from wood to tile floor-floor2.jpg   help with floor transition from wood to tile floor-floor3.jpg  
Old 01-05-2016, 09:30 PM   #6
Tileguy

Decide whether you want to go with wood to match or a marble to blend.

If wood, you can go over the hardwood. Bevel to within " and ramp to the tiles. Sand, stain apply finish.

If you go with marble. Remove the last two strips of flooring and have a piece of marble or granite bevelled as needed. Determine the combination layers of wood/concrete backer needed filler for threshold to come flush with tiles. May need to add a " shoe on front edge of marble.

In both cases leave an expansion gap to the tiles and caulk with the same color as grout.

Transition new base molding to finish.

Jaz

P.S. next time you should go with " cbu instead of " In some cases " is actually stronger in some respects. " is for floors.

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]

Last edited by JazMan; 01-05-2016 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:36 PM   #7

If using wood, do you have any pictures you can find that would show how the finished product could look?
Is it bad that we used the 1/2inch?
Thanks
Old 01-05-2016, 10:12 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,550

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatlakes View Post
If using wood, do you have any pictures you can find that would show how the finished product could look?
Is it bad that we used the 1/2inch?
Thanks
Google "wooden threshold pics" , you'll see many different kinds.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:21 PM   #9
Tileguy

It's not bad that you used " cbu, just not necessary unless you want the extra ".

Don't tell anyone but......I used to use more " Durock and Permabase than ". Back then Durock also came in 5/16" & Permabase in ⅜" too. Switched to Ditra in the late '90's and used that mostly afterwards.

http://gandsmarble.com/index_files/threholdsmenu.htm#

Something like this. 2nd row, middle two examples. You'll have a marble/granite shop make it you. It'll be 2 cm thick, ( Little over "), should be 4.5" wide.

Jaz

Last edited by JazMan; 01-05-2016 at 10:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement