Hardwood Under Tile... - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-10-2014, 10:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Hardwood under tile...

I'm sure I'm beating a dead horse here, so to speak, by asking how far I should strip down the floor to lay tile. I've got a 100 year old house and I'm ripping up the linoleum floor in the kitchen to lay new 6x6 ceramic tiles down. The existing floor ~1" barn boards, covered with 3/4inch maple hardwood floors, covered with 1/4" plywood, topped with linoleum. This is all supported by 16" on center 1x8 floor joists spanning 8' from exterior wall to support beam.

The floor appears to be solid and level, so my first though was strip off the linoleum and screw the hell out of the plywood with some long screws to stiffen up any looseness that might be there.

Is this idea doomed to fail or does it seem fairly reasonable? Am I missing anything important?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-John
Sevric is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2014, 07:56 AM   #2
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

Yep--not a safe plan---

Best method will be to remove the ply--and the maple---refasten any loose subfloor planks--then add 3/4" BC exterior plywood (exposure 1)

Maple expands and contracts a lot----if you will not remove the maple--lay a sheet of 1/2" BC ply and nail or screw that down---

When the floor is prepared--use a tile backer--1/4" Durrock or Wonder board is my choice--set into fresh thinset and nailed with roofing nails.
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2014, 10:38 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,002

My god, I was removing tile again today. 12" ceramic over a vinyl or something similar floor covering over two layers of 3/4" plywood. It beat the sheet out of me. I'm all done now except and odd piece of tile around the edge here and there.

I've never seen tile adhered so well.

I plan on removing the top layer of 3/4" ply, because I don't want to clean the mortar and vinyl off and I'm afraid there is asbestos in the vinyl sheet.

I plan on going over the first layer of 3/4 with some 7/16, then a layer of 1/4" denshield. This will get me back close to the same height.

So my advice to you is to go over the vinyl directly, or remove it with the underlay as per Mike's instructions.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
hardwood , linoleum , subfloor , tile