Hardwood To Tile With Uneven Subfloor - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-06-2015, 09:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

hardwood to tile with uneven subfloor

I have hardwood foyer, and am going to put tile in my powder room. I think the nicest appearance will be instead of cutting tiles into the door threshold, I will make them plumb with the bathroom wall. To do this I am going to put 2 pieces of hardwood into the door threshold. Only problem is, the subflooring in the bathroom is about an 1/8th inch higher than the hall, so I have to figure out how to bring that down to put the wood into the doorway? What is the safest and easiest way/tool to sand down about a 3 inch section x 30 inch doorway approx. 1/8th down?
chadseegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2015, 09:47 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 780

Hi,

Your plan for the threshold doesn't sound so good to me.

Secondly, we do not install tiles to "the" subfloor, but maybe you didn't mean to say subfloor.

Let's start with info on how the floor is framed. Tell us the; size of the joists, their spacing and the longest unsupported span of the joists. See if you can figure out the species and grade. Then tell us what the subfloor is made of and if there's more on top of the subfloor. Any second layer would be an underlayment. Tell us how you plan to install the tiles and if you were planning a tile backer or something else? Do you know which type of tiles yet, setting materials etc?

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2015, 07:56 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 18,382

Not getting why 2, pieces for a threshold would be needed instead of just one piece.
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2015, 10:55 AM   #4

The original doorway was half vinyl and a half with a reducer from the hardwood. When I took the reducer up I noticed that the subfloor underneath it was also not flush so if I put another piece of hardwood down it won't go flat. That would be the first piece of wood and the second
Old 04-07-2015, 07:20 PM   #5

Why not put a marble threshold between the different materials right in the middle?
rgors77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 08:41 PM   #6
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 7,604

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadseegs View Post
I have hardwood foyer, and am going to put tile in my powder room. I think the nicest appearance will be instead of cutting tiles into the door threshold, I will make them plumb with the bathroom wall.
Usually the ideal place for the transition threshold is directly under the door, so when the door is closed, and which ever side you are standing on, that is the flooring you see up to the closed door. Not 3" of the other rooms floor protruding under the door. But if you want that hardwood to come across; rather than sanding the sub, have your floor boards thickness plained down 1/8 and refinish to match
Old 04-07-2015, 09:01 PM   #7

Thanks. After having time to check. The height difference Of subfloors is only a thin layer of ply on top of bathroom subfloor I guess laid down for the vinyl to adhere to. . I am going to split the threshold with your advice as I think it will only need a small reducer or may use shlugger how ever you spell that. Thanks so much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement