Hardwood Floors Over Particleboard - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-30-2015, 12:09 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 43

hardwood floors over particleboard

I've read various articles on this topic however non ever seemed to directly apply to my situation. Thought I'd ask the community.

Our 1977 ranch has 3/4" particle board over 1/2" plywood subfloors. The interior walls of the house are on top of both layers. I'd like to install 3/4" thick hardwood floors. I was going to remove the particle board layer but then discovered the interior walls were on top of it when I removed the baseboards.

Instead I'm thinking to add a 1/2" layer over the particle board, then screwing all layers down with 2 1/2" screws. Just seeing if this is adequate, or if there are any other suggestions. Any and all comments are appreciated. Thank you for reading.
jobblyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2015, 09:11 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 247

Nails, staples, etc. have no holding power in particle board, particle board does not help to stiffen the floor, and swells when exposed to water. I'd get a toe kick saw to cut the particle board flush with the walls and then rip it all out, pray hard that the builder didn't glue it down like in my house.
chemman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2015, 09:25 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 5,348

Can you post a photo of the particle board?
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2015, 09:33 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 43

Sure I can posts pictures later this evening. However I am confident it is particle board. It looks like this...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-taTP6ajM--...icle+Board.jpg

I did think of the toe kick saw idea. I then read the installation procedures for the flooring and it said if particle board is the subfloor surface cover with a minimum 3/8" plywood underlayment. I was going to use 1/2" so it would match the tile backer to be installed for the flooring in the bathrooms.

Luckily under the bathrooms and kitchen they have 3/4" plywood on top of 1/2" plywood. They used particle board in the rooms with carpet installed.
jobblyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 10:05 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 5,348

That photo is certainly particle board. One of the more useless building materials ever produced.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement