Hardwood Flooring - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-08-2013, 09:26 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

hardwood flooring

We are installing hardwood flooring in 2 places. kitchen and entrance. Our kitchen originally had a vinyl floor and 15 years ago we put down underlayment then laminate boards on top of the existing kitchen vinyl. We now have torn off the laminate exposing the underlayment and will now install the new hardwood on top.(everything looks ok)
Now heres the big problem. I thought I would do the same thing to our entrance floor. This floor has original 6 inch by 6 inch parkay and when I started tearing off the parkay it looks like it was glued on originally and when I go to tearing it off with a chisel its shreading the wood it was glued to along with the parkay and looks horrible uneven mess. Can I lay the new hardwood on top of the parkay and avoid the mess created when I tried to take off the parkay?? please help
dave497777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2013, 09:11 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

When I tiled my kitchen, bath and laundry room there was an underlayment material called luaun beneath the linoleum and this stuff was stapled about every 4" on 12" or 16" centers or something like that AND glued down. It was by far the worst part of my flooring remodel. Granted I was putting backer board over those areas, I still made sure it was as clean and smooth as can be. The way I pulled up the luaun was with a pair of gloves, chisel, flathead and a painters tool worked the best. I would say chisel away because you need that surface to be as flat as possible so you don't get any loose creaking boards. Maybe use #30 paper underneath to smooth it out little more. I'm no expert though, just my .02.
MisterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2013, 10:21 AM   #3
K&B Designer

Rewards Points: 250

Just remove the hall subfloor along with the parquet. It will be much easier. Then replace the subfloor.

Also beware of your kitchen wood project "locking in" your DW if you don't put wood into the DW alcove. Wood has to go underneath all of the appliances. That can create an issue with a slide in stove as well. You may need to replace the DW with a short clearance model and several other domino changes.

Or, since you have an older kitchen, if you are the planning process for a kitchen redo, hold off on the wood installation in the kitchen until you can do it as part of the kitchen redo. Cabinets should always be set at the height of the finished floor to avoid these issues.
Advertisement