Hardwood Floor Pattern - Different Plank Length - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-25-2011, 02:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Hardwood floor pattern - different plank length

When we installed engineered wood floor, they come in 3 different lengths. We had a hard time trying to arrange it so that the pattern looks good.

Now, we are installing hardwood floor which comes in 5 (if not 6) different length. We will be --for sure -- headache with this .

I keep telling myself, there must be a standard way of doing this. I tried to search everywhere, but I couldn't find any detail (may be bad keyword?). Can anyone point me to the right direction?

Thanks
thone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2011, 02:43 PM   #2
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,102

I am guessing you are laying a prefinished floor.

The pattern is completely random, in fact the more random the better. Keep you connections a minimum of 6" apart.

I'll bet you have alot more short pieces than long. Open at least 3 boxes and set the pieces against the wall by order of length, you will have to keep in mind that you have to use up the shorts at a faster rate than the longer pieces.

I just finished laying a whole house (5 rooms) worth turned out looking rather good, hope you have help, it sure make it go easier, make sure you leave the recommended gaps between fixed objects and floor. The real challenge is keeping everything straight especially on the long runs like a hallway.

Mark
thone (07-27-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2011, 09:02 PM   #3
Never too old to learn

Just a quick high jack question....is it better to nail new hardwood flooring 'across' the joists, or parallel ?
Dudester60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2011, 09:38 AM   #4
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,102

Manufacturers recommend that the floor planking be laid perpendicular to the floor joist this will provide the best results for stability for the life of the floor.

Mark
Old 07-27-2011, 02:16 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 5,348

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudester60 View Post
Just a quick high jack question....is it better to nail new hardwood flooring 'across' the joists, or parallel ?
If your subfloor is individual boards(as opposed to plywood) you lay the finished floor perpendicular to the subfloor.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:37 AM   #6
Never too old to learn

I have " plywood over the joists which are 12" center. For cosmetic reasons, I'm going to take a chance and nail parallel to the floor joists....if I go perpendicular, my hallway will look like a rail road track. I'll be doing a transition through the doorways into 3 bedrooms. Using " prefinished maple stained bronze, 3" wide. Got about 500 sq ft to do.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:01 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 200

try and keep your end joints at least a foot apart from the next board , and at least two board over .
Floor Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 02:00 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 5,348

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudester60 View Post
I have " plywood over the joists which are 12" center. For cosmetic reasons, I'm going to take a chance and nail parallel to the floor joists....if I go perpendicular, my hallway will look like a rail road track. I'll be doing a transition through the doorways into 3 bedrooms. Using " prefinished maple stained bronze, 3" wide. Got about 500 sq ft to do.
I'd lay it out on the floor first to see what it looks like. The long way is the traditional layout format. I've never laid a floor or seen one laid the short way.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:37 PM   #9
Never too old to learn

Yup. I already did lay them out sideways and it looks like a rail road track...not cosmetically soothing to the eyes....hence why I'd like to go on the length. My hall way is straight, and I wouldn't even have to rip the last board, cause it fits perfectly with the allowable " gap on each side. The tricky part will be going from the hallway into the 3 bedrooms, (2 on the right, and one on the left side of the hallway) Will have to make a spline for the left side, in order to change direction and work into that room. I will definitely keep the joints minimum a foot apart or more, thanks for the tip. Wish me luck......I'm going to need it !!!
Once I'm done I'll upload some pics, but don't expect that to happen for another couple of weeks. lol.

Last edited by Dudester60; 09-11-2011 at 04:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement