Is This Grout Sealed Or Not? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-06-2017, 07:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 86

Is this grout sealed or not?

I threw some water on it. Looked like it was absorbing.. Would appreciate some help with the steps on what to do to maintain this. These tiles are on the wall in a shower. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Is this grout sealed or not?-img_2799.jpg   Is this grout sealed or not?-img_2800.jpg  
bartonst is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2017, 07:43 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 750

Re: Is this grout sealed or not?

There's no way for anyone other than the person who has lived there since it was installed to know. Penetrating grout sealer does not change the appearance of the grout in any way. How long ago was this installed? If in doubt, give it a cleaning and seal it, but, do you know what specific type of grout it is?

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2017, 08:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
There's no way for anyone other than the person who has lived there since it was installed to know. Penetrating grout sealer does not change the appearance of the grout in any way. How long ago was this installed? If in doubt, give it a cleaning and seal it, but, do you know what specific type of grout it is?

Jaz
It was installed a few years ago. I don't know by who or what they used. All I know is that the silicone job was very poor so it has me worried about the grout. I've never done this before. What do I have to do? Go get some of this stuff?

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.t...000425767.html

and use this bottle
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.1...oaAjhQEALw_wcB

Or can I buy this and spray the grout and tile?
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.t...000425762.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2017, 12:26 AM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 750

If that sealer is your only choice, I would say ok, it sounds good. You don't need the application bottle as you should also apply to the tile. Use a small white 100% cotton rag to apply, then go back with another larger towel to wipe before it dries.

The HD in the USA also carry Miracle Sealants brand. 511 Impregnator is a favorite. https://miraclesealants.com/products...11-impregnator

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 07:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
If that sealer is your only choice, I would say ok, it sounds good. You don't need the application bottle as you should also apply to the tile. Use a small white 100% cotton rag to apply, then go back with another larger towel to wipe before it dries.

The HD in the USA also carry Miracle Sealants brand. 511 Impregnator is a favorite. https://miraclesealants.com/products...11-impregnator

Jaz
Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement