Glueing Hardwood Floor With PL Premium - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-12-2015, 01:45 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 29

Glueing hardwood floor with PL Premium

I had hired a flooring contractor to install a 3/4" hardwood floor. The installers desire was to pl premium any pieces that couldn't be accessed with the floor nailer. My preference was to top nail (and I would finish the nail holes on my time). We couldn't agree and stopped the job.

Is using pl premium to glue the last three rows of hardwood flooring an accepted practice ? My concern is glueing the edges negates the point of having an expansion gaps as the glue limits any movement that the floor may have.

Opinions requested.

Paul
Paul8434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2015, 03:28 AM   #2
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

Yes, gluing the last three rows and top nailing the last board near the edge so the trim hides the nail holes is the professional way to do the final section.
rusty baker (02-12-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2015, 11:26 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 29

Thanks Mike,

I still cant get over how the floor should expand and shrink with the humidity changes.

I have done my own floors in the past and always left a 3/8" gap for this reason.

I do note the advantage of glueing in that I don't have to see the wax filler over the top nailing, but that was ok for me given that that was my perceived only way.

I have dutifully looked at the NWFA guidelines and cant see any references to glueing, hence my requests on the board.

Paul
Paul8434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2015, 07:23 PM   #4
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

That method is tried and true---One of the full time hardwood guys will check in soon--
Old 02-13-2015, 09:59 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 123

I use good old fashioned nails and a hammer. Drill just enough so you can counter sink the nail in the groove (at the same angle as the nailer). Seemed to work fine for me, I'm no flooring export, just did a couple rooms with some bamboo. I wouldn't top nail, that wouldn't look too good.
readar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:07 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 123

I should add I used nails specifically designated for hardwood flooring, I assume they are stronger and won't have a tendency to bend while nailing them in.
readar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 12:05 AM   #7
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,716

when I laid my hickory floor in my kitchen and family room I used Mohawk brand. I used 5" wide planks because I like the look better than the narrower boards. Anyway per their instructions for the wider board I was required to both nail and use PL400 adhesive on every board (what a pain in the butt) to reduce the chances of cupping. Instructions also recommended the normal expansion spacing around all walls. So glueing the boards is ok I guess. 4 years later I can report no issues at all.
Advertisement