Glued Down Engineered Hardwood In Kitchen - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-27-2018, 11:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2
Angry

Glued down engineered hardwood in kitchen

I'm considering buying a new construction home from a spec builder. They only install one brand of engineered hardwood and it's glued down.

The builder is very slow answering questions (it took a week for them to tell me that it was glued down), so hoping you guys can help me out in the meantime.

I don't know what the subfloor is. The main level is above a walk-out basement, so I would think the subfloor is plywood, but I guess some builders still use cement in that case?

The base flooring scheme is the hardwood in the kitchen with carpet everywhere else. Having already already had a terrible experience with this same brand, same grade flooring. NOT keeping it, not paying $$$ to have it placed throughout the first floor. Will rip everything out after closing and put in hard floor of my choosing.

Not averse to hiring out parts of the job, especially the demo. However I wonder if I've bitten off more than I can chew.

Does it look like the flooring goes all the way under the cabinets and island?

No budget to replace the cabinets and island as well. So what do I do? Cut the floor around with a toe kick saw, try to do a floating floor install, repaint and re-install the quarter round? Hope the height of the new floor doesn't cause problems?

I asked the builder if they would do a floating floor install and they said no. Is this really a remodel can be done well without removing the cabinets? Is there any chance the cabinets are shimmed up and the floor just barely goes under the toe kick?

redcaterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2018, 12:36 PM   #2
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

Re: Glued down engineered hardwood in kitchen

Ask for a copy of the blueprints & a copy of the contract so that you can study it before you sign. If they refuse to do that, say good bye.
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement